DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Card

Posted by sabc15-427548 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sheldon-433307 - 3 years ago

It is not only cloned cards.  And even if you notify your UK or French bank you are going away they can and will cause you severe embarrassment and prevent access if their security dept, which unfortunately for me was in Mumbai and just try complaining to them,  clamp down.  I speak from experience having done all I could have done before I went away.  It's infuriating!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Both Mastercard and Visa are accepted worldwide and in theory should be usable wherever you might be. However, the banks and building societies that issue the cards strong>do have monitoring systems to detect what they believe could be cloned cards, through unusual purchasing patterns. This varies from one card issuere to another, but having had my card stopped for some out of the ordinary spending (buying a load of appliances etc in France), I know it works, which is why they recommend I inform them of significant changes ahead.

My son had his card cloned last year and his bank picked up on a load of spending on sports equipment by the perpetrator - so the system provides some protection.

Of course, any globetrotters whose spending habits are completely unpredictable will probably find their spending is beyond this sort of protection.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Probably more to do with blips on the computer system!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

AQ. Not strictly true as I said I have discussed this with CA at length I asked this specific question and am assured that what you say is not the case there is no automatic blocking in place, the card is a MasterCard and should be acceptable anywhere in the world at any time, I have been traveling to the UK several times a year for 10 years always used my CA card and never previously had any problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Sadly, this is becomin  part of life - we have had issues with our French bank card at Automated petrol stations across France. While my UK cards both credit and debit have had payment declined for Ferry payments despite cash and credit limits being available. Shows the incompetence of the banks when you think - Ferry, passport, car registration - makes no sense.

The banks cannot know if the card is cloned and if they do should immediately inform you to check the original card is to hand. Sadly, the banks use security as a fig leaf for their own incompetence and weak internal controls.

Also be careful of teling banks too much about residency, especially HSBC, there have been cases where they close accounts and end card accounts for non UK residents on the back of money laundering legislation. Once closed it is then impossible to open an account elsewhere in UK.

Sorry no image available

Yes - the card will automatically he blocked for usage that is outside of the usual pattern, so you call the bank in advance of your trip so they "switch off" this blocking for the  places you tell them you will be visiting. They also ask for the dates of your outward and return journeys,  so that the automatic blocking is reset when you return.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian2bin - 3 years ago

So did we AQ but they now say its all automatic so no point in calling them.

Sorry no image available

I believe it is always best to ring the bank that issues the card to inform them of forthcoming trips which might involve usage "out of the ordinary" i.e. not in your usual country or even your normal region. They do seem to monitor card usage and put a stop on a card where transactions are not in keeping with typical usage, not just location, but even types of purchases.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

They are another necessary evil in afraid.We are off to Kent for a day beginning of December, is it advisable to speak to the bank before we go?,I've never had any problems in the past with my CA cards.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Very odd. Last year when Brittany Ferries tried taking the final balance from my Nationwide Debit Card I had an email to say it had been declined. So, furiously, I called Nationwide and all they could say whas that there 'might' have been some kind of breach of security. I asked them to be more specific but they couldn't/wouldn't. But I demanded them to pay BF without delay which they did.

The cynic in me says it's yet another way of banks keeping hold of our money just a little longer but try to fob it off as some kind of 'security' issue thinking we then won't complain. I trust banks even less than I trust politicians!