Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Carte Sejour

Posted by expoexpat - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

It's a Titre de Sejour by the way, hasn't been a Carte de Sejour for yonks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by expoexpat - 3 years ago

Hi all, I have a UK passport, as well as a US passport. So will only need a Carte Vitale.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

I think that is half the problem with questions like this!  If the OP doesn't give all the information, then the answers may not be appropriate.  different rules apply to non- European citizens, so before advice is handed out,  maybe the OP could clarify?

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

According to expoexpat's AI profile their original country of origin is the United States so perhaps they will need a Carte de Sejour afterall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

As said. In order to get a carte vitale you need to be paying cotisations in France. 

This might help




Sorry no image available
Posted by expoexpat - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. 

Just spoke to another accountant who gave a different story to one I spoke to a few weeks back. Back to the reserach drawing board for me. Carte Sejour wont be applied for. Just the Carte Vitale.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

As has been said, as an EU citizen you do not require a 'Carte Sejour' - you have more important things to think about.

To legitimately run your business from France, based on the info you have given, you will need to have a registered office here and pay your dues here. Apart from it being a requirement, you'll need to do so to access healthcare here.

There are various publications out there that cover living and working in France that may be of help.


Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

Forget the Carte de Sejour as the Prefecture will probably refuse to issue you one if you are British as it is not required. To obtain a Carte Vitale you must be registered to trade & be PAYING TAXES IN FRANCE to qualify. To be resident in France you MUST declare your Worldwide income every year for the year previous...no way around that except prison &/or kicked out of the country. If you are running your business in UK then you will never get a Carte Vitale until you reach retirement age.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

The CS is not necessary for British people in France. It is still a requirement for non Europeans. Many people who read these pages are American, Canadian, Australiam, New Zealanders or South Africans so one general reply might not apply.

Sorry no image available
Posted by expoexpat - 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick answer Fredbloggs2.

So is a Carte Sejour not required in order to THEN get a Carte Vitale???

Am so confused by this whole process. But would like to get it done as we now own a house in France, and of course would like to make sure we do things 'correctly'.

Am also in the process of trying to figure out whether we want to eventually register our business here as well. But taxes taxes taxes springs to mind.

So we will start with the Carte Sejour, and Carte Vitale I guess.