DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte vitale ending after stopping being an AE

Posted by Freesia-10059871 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

It would have been so much simpler if the full story had been given in the first place.So he is a director of a UK company paying tax and NI in the UK and is permanently resident in France.In that case he will probably qualify for a cross border workers S1 and you can be included on it as well.Phone the overseas health team of the DWP on 0044(0)1912181999 have both your NI nos to hand.If you google "cross border workers S1" you will find lots of info about it.If you get the S1 it will have he benefit of not paying cotisations or social charges but you will still need a mutuelle. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

This is turning into a very circular thread.

So if he's living and working France (but for a UK company) and you say he spends all the year in France yet he's paying everything in the UK. Hmm. Employed? Self employed?

I take it this a UK accountant, are you sure he's up to speed with cross border worker regulations?

Anyway, OH should apply for an S1 and if he gets one everything will be hunky dory again. If he doesn't you'll have to take it from there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freesia-10059871 - 3 years ago

Yes, stupidly it has been husband who has been paying NI in the UK all along, I never thought to keep mine up to date!  Although have claimed CB in UK and then here so might have been still contributing.  Will look into that at a later date.

DH is still currently working, he is a director for the family run business hence how he can work here and pay all in UK. (apparently according to our accountant)  

I work here, 6 hrs per week, paid through CESU, but that is not enough to qualify for my own carte vitale, which is very strange!

Sorry no image available

Yes the OP clarified that, they cancelled their AE in Dec 2014 not 2015 as she put at first. So they've had their year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Do you not get a years cover on your Carte Vitale after stopping AE anyway?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

The continued payment of NI in the UK was a wise decision as it supports the UK pension contirbutions and therefore longer term the value of the pension recieved. This is reduced if the NI is not upto date or at pensionable age you do not have enough years contributions. Given your circumstances it maybe useful to get a pension forecast for yourself. In the UK womens contributions are paid as long as they are claiming child benefit and are not working.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, just realised you might be talking about OH paying voluntary contributions. When you talked about paying 'all his 'NI and tax' it sounded as if he was working.

If he is in fact paying voluntary NICs, and neither of you is working nor on a UK state pension, you won't be entitled to an S1 at the moment. But DWP will tell you.

Sorry no image available

It shouldn't matter if things are cross checked with social secu, it's all above board, French tax return made and payed for the past 5 year and Ni minimum payment made in UK to keep Ni up to date..

It's just the process and paperwork that is soul destroying, confusing and time consuming.

Sorry no image available

But if you live in France you are fiscally resident in France, you don't have a choice, you have to submit your tax return to France every year. You may need to submit tax returns to the UK as well, but not the UK only. With the social security thing, hopefully nobody is going to cross-check dates and find that they overlap.

Sorry no image available

It's only this year since stopping being an AE that he has paid all his tax and Ni in the U.K., before he continued to pay towards his Ni for some reasons...... As told to do so by accountant.  I have a form to send to HMRC and have the attestsation from RAM, so will get to CPAM when HMRC have replied and see what they suggest.  Thanks for your help.