DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Change in French Law

Posted by Yaddlethorpe Crossroads - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

For more information try Googling "EU régulation 650/2012."

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

Anyone can contest a will. The new arrangement makes no alteration to the existing laws on uk wills, the only difference now being that a British will be accepted by the French.  Presumably, if you wish to contest the will, you have to do it in UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

To add to what reveuse said, I think the person who was left out of the will had moved to be close to the deceased so they could look after them, and had actually suffered financial loss as a result, so it is a fairly specific set of circumstances.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

I think the case itwasntme is talking about happened in the UK where a quite rich person died and left all her estate to charity or something, whereas she had an impecunious relative who, because he or she had been cut out of the will, had to live on state benefits. The judge overruled the decision to cut the relative out of the will. This case doesn't concern France at all, it's just highlighting that even UK inheritance isn't always as simple as you think. But it was an extreme case.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yeoman61 - 3 years ago

yes I went to a local notaire in Rostrenen and they said they would get back to me as to

whether or not I would  have to register my english will. Which I had updated last year

in UK with this change in French policy, so far no response from them, yours aye mick hunt

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

Steverockers this was a case where the law said the Will was wrong and compensated the person left out of it. so this could now affect all Wills made under UK law. ie persons relatives left out of a Will could now stake a claim to said will.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 3 years ago

Don't forget that , although you can now write a will as in the UK, your estate will still be subject to French taxes and these vary depending on who you've left things to.  So there could be a very high rate of taxation on bequests made to people other than spouse/children.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

But that case could not relate to the current situation as the new regulationd did not come in to force until 15 August 2015 !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

There was an article somewhere on the net regarding the pitfalls to this one example was the recent case where a person left out of a UK will then won a claim to the estate. The article also stated that the French notaires are not upto speed with the UK system.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wilbury Traveller - 3 years ago

Hi

I would be interested to know what the Notaire fees are both with and without the Executor fee.

Thanks

WT