DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Consumer Rights

Posted by harleyal - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jake-385069 - 3 years ago

If a product is faulty within 28 days the seller will replace or refund,after this time and up to guarantee ending they will send away for repair to manufacturer or supplier,if you dont get it back after 1 month then they will give a replacement,be sure to get a reciept,never throw away packaging on any item purchased until after guarantee is expired as they will ask for it if you have a problem.Very difficult area in France.  Caveat Emptor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by harleyal - 3 years ago

Well I have to hand it to LeClerc at Carhaix. Today we took the iron back to the shop and explained in halting French that boiling water was coming out of the bottom and that it was dangerous and they gave us back our money. No quibbling, no ifs, no buts.

However, while we were walking round getting our shopping, we saw a member of staff putting it back on the shelf ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

This seems to be a recurring problem in France and I have heard that it is linked to an apparent attitude, or even training to not accept responsibility or liability for products. As stated, you need to stand your ground, speak to a manager, perhaps adopt the broken record routine and insist on action being taken, very firmly, ideally in front of other customers, which usually spurs the shop to save embarassment.

Be very wary of buying an item where it looks like the packaging has been opened. A friend of mine bought a new cordless telephone from his local supermarket. It failed to work, so he rightly took it back and after arguing his case, got a replacement. He then watched the assistant neatly wrap up the faulty telephone, put it back in its box and then place it back on the shelf, where it originally came from, probably to be purchased by some other unsuspecting customer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

If you have a Qui Chosir by you ,look in the telephone directory , they would be very interested in your iron ,they will also help you get your money back if there are problems with the store .It is a Citizens advice and Which all rolled into one .

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

some years ago i bought a small kango drill from a big supermarket and two days later it caught fire,so i took it back and they said they would send it away for repair,and it would be back in a week,every week i called in and no repaired drill,so one day went  and waited by customer service till they were busy,pulled out my recipe tore it up,shouted out your ganantee is,nt worth a w-nk and tossed it in the air like confettie,there was a guy standing behind the counter smartly dressed and in good english asked if i had a prolem,so i  told him about my drill,he called a shop assistant over and told me to show her which model it was on the shelf,so i pointed to the dearest one,which they gave me and then gave me 40 euro,s to spend in the store,and it still works to this daysometimes it pay,s to complain loudly,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I've found that the only way to get shops to replace things is to present them with a total loss.

I bought a log splitter from a diy place.It worked ok for a week or two and then the pressure relief valve jammed stalling the motor. Didn't fiddle with it, took it back and the moron in their repair workshop said the reason it didn't work was that it was "dirty"- imagine that-a log splitter getting dirty!

They kept it for a week or two and then we collected it - the next time we used it it stalled again, so I just kept the start button pressed down until the motor went pop.

Took it back and they replaced it without question.