DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

CPAM and Pole Emploi

Posted by winda1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

Good point

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigerlillie - 3 years ago

Perhaps my post was harsh but I still stand by it. If you or anyone else out there has problems with the language and perhaps cannot understand the finer points of french conversation then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have understood, it is NOT THEIR responsibility to make sure you have understood. So if that is the case then you would be best advised to take a translator or someone who does understand the language better with you. Too many people these days do not want to take responsibilty for anything so that when things do go wrong they can blame anyone but themselves. And just to correct you winda1 I did not say 'you're in france learn french' I said 'this is france THEY speak french here' and if you cannot understand it then either take someone with you who does understand better than you or take a translator. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Don't go this Wednesday though - the EURES English speaker for Brittany seems to be in Rennes, and the farmers are planning to block Rennes off on Wednesday :-(

Sorry no image available
Posted by winda1 - 3 years ago

Thank you.....that was the information  i was after.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ScarboroughWhites-442058 - 3 years ago

Found this on the EU Website -

https://ec.europa.eu/eures/eures-apps/um/page/public?lang=en#/adviser/search/list

Do the search and you'll find an English speaker in Brittany.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

Walk in to our local CPAM and take a ticket and wait and never very long. Why do people generalise in that their CPAM you have to call for an appointment, thus ALL CPAM offices are the same!!!

Sorry no image available

You are right.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Before this thread heads down in the wrong direction - surely the issue is that while places often do have English speakers who will help as much as they can on general matters, when it comes to complicated matters you can't rely totally on a French fonctionnaire to explain the finer points to you in English unless you are using an English speaking service such as CPAM provides. You say you have OK French, well most fonctionnaires' English will be no better than your French and it is always harder to explain something than to understand an explanation. They might easily use the wrong word and give you the wrong message and then what. At least if you get the explanation in French, you know you have been given the right message in the first place. This is not intended to sound judgmental, it's intended to flag up the danger of relying on someone who has no particular interest in you beyond doing their job and moving on to their next customer, when as when you say, you're the one who will be disadvantaged if something gets lost in translation. For most things it doesn't matter if you miss a few of the finer points, but you are making it sound as if in your case it is crucial.

Sorry no image available

Thanks tiger lily...its not that i cant speak french...they just dont understand me when things get technical!  I will speak french and i do understand french depending on who is talking to me, but it would just help to know I have fully understood what is said back to me and havent got the wrong end of the stick on something extremely important that could affect the rest of my life.    Comments like yours 'well your in france, speak french' attitude puts everyone off writing on Angloinfo, as surely its here to help! I feel your cooments are being  typically judgemental when you have no idea why I have asked.  

Sorry no image available

Malcolm1...I fully understand what you are saying, I just wanted to know if anyone had a name I could put forward to speak to eventually once through all the rigmoral of getting appointments now.  Thanks any way to everyone for your responses....guess I'll have to drag along my daughter!!