DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Credit Card Purchases

Posted by HarleyRider58 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Yep, sure do.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Rance, it's the age old problem, if you owe the bank £1,000 you have a problem but if you owe the bank £1,000,000 they have a problem.

You can guess who they help out first.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Sorry to say it but with banks it is a case of the more money you have with them, the better service you get. If you threaten to leave and have pots with them, they will do a lot more to keep you with them. The less you have, the worse you will get treated when there is a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You get good and bad service everywhere not just here,the morel of the story is don't go back,I have a French friend who had probs with his mobile ,he told the woman at the very big phone co that he would take his business elsewhere, her response was we have millions of customers why should we worry about you,back I the uk i had a problem with a well known bank ,told them I would take my business elsewhere ,the response I got was exactly the same as the french chaps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

Had a similar issue with Mister Auto, did get a refund but the inconvenience caused was a pain as it involved my wife's care being off the road a further 2 weeks. Paid more for the parts form the UK but they arrived in 2 days so when time is an issue I would avoid french websites who seem incapable of delivering things in time if at all!!

Service and goods that present a problem during and after purchase can often be resolved through ACCOB (association Consumateurs Centre Ouest Bretagne) there was an office in Carhaix although it's several years since we used them. Usually have to pay a cotisation which lasts a year and can be used for any comnsumer problems.

The problem seems to be that most french traders in whatever form are useless at dealing with customer problems and prefer to ignore them alltogether. Scream, shout and generally become a pain until they provide a solution. Printing and presenting consumer legislation and rules under their noses often helps but they are often difficult to pin down, managers refusing to come out of their office is a common one, downright unprofessional and very annoying.

Have still got an ongoing problem with an electric bike bought from Dillinger who are an Australian outfit who sell bikes throughout the UK and Europe but have zero capacity to repair anything. May well lose this one but will look at the European legislation outlined in this posting to see if there's anything that will help.

Hope you manage to get your problem resolved.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Useful advice - thanks geegee42. I have bought through a few of these sites, fortunately without problems, but I will check on consumer legislation to see how these marketplace sites are covered and whether the sites themselves have legal obligations, or just the sellers using the sites.

Whilst consumer protection legislation is very good in the UK, possibly in France too, there are so many traders who take advantage of those consumers who are not familiar with their rights. Too many French people just do not follow up on poor service and suppliers continue to get away with failing their customers.

A friend of mine suffered delay after delay in the delivery of something ordered a couple of months previously -and when she telephoned to chase and complain, she was told "Do not bring your Anglo Saxon values over to France". I just cannot understand that sort of attitude - a big well known company too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

CDiscount was fine until it became a market place,a lot of people think they are dealing direct with the parent company when they are actually dealing with a third party reseller, same as Amazon ,price minister,mrgoodeal and rakutan(ex play.com),a lot of resellers over sell then find it difficult tracing more stock,the stock is usually available but not at the price they wish too pay,the ploy is keep you hanging till eventually you ask for your money back.I much prefer sites who give you a delivery window and a refund as soon as its passed and the goods have not arrived,a lot of high Street retailers will offer a price match on certain ranges so sometimes it might be worth a chat with darty or one or two of the others.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

We had a little dose of CDiscount where after ordering they immediately didn't have a special offer in stock-never deal with them because as stated it's a hell of a job to get your money back.

I personally think that their way of operating is helping them to finance their business.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Sensible strategy Helen. I cannot understand suppliers in either France or the UK, who don't honour their legal obligations. The transaction (contract) was between buyer and seller - not the manufacturer, so it is the retailer who has the responsibility for putting matters right. If the retailer then wishes to pursue redress from the manufacturer afterwards, that is their own responsibility / choice - they have no right to pass it on to the consumer to deal with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helenct61 - 3 years ago

You could  indeed try writing to their Head Office but don't hold your breath for a reply.  We bought a tablet from them that stopped working correctly after not even 1 week but we NEVER got the issue sorted.  In the one email that they did reply to they said that it wasn't their responsibilty, we should contact the manufacturer, who we also never got any joy from.

We spent a fortune in premium rate phone calls & sent several LR/AR.

We should have learnt our lesson, this wasn't the first time we'd had a problem with them.  

The problem is that their prices are so attractive, I don't even look at them now so that I won't be tempted!  

We prefer to buy in a shop where at least you can go and look into the eyes of the person that doesn't give a hoot!