DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cross border working and uk car

Posted by Nurse Gladys Emanuel - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Rudge you are at one end of the age scale and my daughters are at the other ,passed test bought between them a two clio's and a megane,the insurance was 480€ each ,a friends son bought a small focus in the UK ,insurance cost £1,600 ,which was £500 more than the car cost,in France younger drivers pay a lot less than UK but older drivers pay more,maybe that's why a far bigger percentage of French drivers are insured compared to UK drivers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Yes, i realise all insured Uk pay, nut it still does not explain why we pay more in France, the system may do things in a different way... but a recent insrance quote for my 125cm Honda was 3X my Uk paid price ... and this is a low risk area in central Brittany !!

Heavan help those people who live in Paris or another higher risk area .

Years ago in ireland the cost of insuring a motorcycle wa so prohibitive the result was that it was far cheaper not to insure at all, and just pay any fine occasionally . I am pleased  we are  not system yet here ..... I feel the french insurance system is less competiitive here , no online price comparisons  , hence they freely charge more? . 

But don't get me wrong , I am querying the prices charged in a low risk area, but after taking things like road tax into the equation I pay less overall than the UK .... my original comments were why is insurance more here, taking all thhings into account  - if lack of road tax is factored in I actually pay less overalll to use a vehicle , apart from a lightweight motorcycle ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Rudge, who do you think pay the Insurance Companies so they can pay into the the UK Uninsured Drivers Agreement?

Hint; the policy holders.

Sorry no image available

It is good to know that any car on the road is insured , but not good to know thst you are paying for the insurance for someone who happens to steal your vehicle . The Uk has a system to cover accidents with uninsured drivers as far as I know , a fund paid into by all insurance companies ?

I object to the idea of paying a premium 'just to cover a thiefs activities ' !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

The main reason why French vehicle insurance is more costly is that in France any vehicle is insured third party for any driver instead of the UK system where it is the driver that is insured not the vehicle.

At least here you know where you stand in that anybody can drive anything that is insured!

Even an unlicensed thief who nicks your car is insured third party here.

Sorry no image available

Dibbyspot  - I am curious that it has been mentioned French insurance is cheaper , my house insurance is cheaper than UK , but my car ( group 5 in UK) and my low powered 125 motorbike are double the Uk price to insure in France, even considering my age and the fact that I have had a clean driving licence for 50years, for both categories .  I realise that the french insurance includes breakdown, possibly of dubious value as disciussed in some previous posts, but have accepted that vehicle insurance costs more overall.

As a point of reference , in UK , comprehensive insuarnce on a Honda 125 costs £60 a year, and my car £129  a year ...I am a 'senior' with NCB on a car .

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I think we just go around in circles regarding this subject,I have registered 6 vehicles in France,yet each time have been told differently each time,last time I registered my Ford Mondeo rhd,I was told by the insurance company & the prefecture that the vehicle doesn't  exists,despite being several million world wide,even produce the owner's handbook, but they were not having it,went to another prefecture and no problem, registered it straight away,I had a Transit flare side but because it was on Ford system as a chassis cab,the prefecture said it had to have a single vehicle test,but when I took it in for the test they said it would cost more than the vehicles value,and said as long it is properly taxed & insured there wouldn't be a problem,I was stopped a couple of times in roadside check but even though my French license had my address it was never a problem,however after a year it died so no longer an issue.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

The full facts from the horse's mouth here:-

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Regarding registration, technically, I believe that in order to do this legally the car would have to be registered to a UK based company and I have a notion that you would have to go back on a very regular basis, more often than you are suggesting. But if the registration document is in your own name and you live in France, then No.

Regarding insurance, well you would have to ask your insurers but they will almost certainly refuse to continue insuring you if you live in France and keep the car in France.

Why would you want to in any case? It sounds as if you'll be in France with it more than in the UK, so surely it makes sense to register it here, get the headlights pointing the right way, get the CTs done here etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Depends on your insurance - strictly speaking if the car is in France for more than 30 days, depending on your UK insurance, you may not be covered as you may risk failing the residency test that maybe imposed in the event of an accident. For your circumstances, assuming French residency, it probably makes sense to get French registration/insurance - get proof of no claims bonus first though. I'm lead to beleive French vehicle insurance is cheaper on a like for like basis.

Many people drive on UK licences and presumably insurance - OK - if illegal as residents. The risk is if you have an accident.