DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

damp probs.

Posted by chris. b - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

I would have thought the first thing to do is speak to the mairie and ask for the gullies to be inspected!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You will need a survey done,you will need a report stating the cause of the damp and what steps need to be taken to remedy it,the joists are probably oak and these do not rot overnight.For any insurance claim you will need to prove liability.If water is seeping into the wall then it will also rise up the wall causing the skirtings to rot and paint to blow,if this is not happening then its unlikely to be water seeping through the wall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris. b - 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have made it  clearer the cracked gully is part of the road, and not part of anyones property. It is concrete and runs along the edge of six  terraced houses that line one side of a steep hill. The cracks are upstream of most of these houses and I think water gets below the gulley and seeps into the buildings, however not being an expert ( in anything according to the gov,ner !!! ) I cannot be sure. We are not able to live there permanently so wondered if writing to the Marie in the first instance would be worthwhile, or should I get our insurers involved first...many thanks for your advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by diversolo1 - 3 years ago

Laying a concrete floor is one way to to go, but you must stop the cause of the damp first otherwise it will effect another part of the house eg the walls and then you having rising damp.you seem to already know the issue so repair this first and also check your neighbours gullies as it could be broken there and water is traveling down hill to your property. good luck 

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

If the rain water is running into a cracked gully thats on the road side , ie not your land - you could speak to the mairie to see  if they will replace it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I'm afraid my experience both here and in the UK ,is that all joists planted directly on the earth always eventually rot,the only long term option is lift the floor lay a compacted subfloor ,damp proof membrane ,then concrete.

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

I have friends in a nearby village who had a similar problem. They were informed that as the problem was under their roof any repairs were at their expense. They paid a local builder to put in a drain.