DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

debit cards

Posted by ropeyxxx123 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

You should note that if you have the Mastercard and Visa with the embossed numbers you should be able to use them abroad but beware of extortionate cash withdrawal charges.If you have a Maestro or similar with printed numbers then you normally cannot use them abroad.I use the following "real" credit card

www.cartezero.fr

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

It was may when we were over last so I'm checking with the bank to make sure nothings changed, but my cards are MasterCard's not the standard debit so don't know if that makes a difference.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Hmm different CAs clearly behave differently, I'm with Cotes 'dArmor. Last month in the UK, anything over around €100 I tried to pay for by card was blocked even for payments to my regular suppliers ........... a bit of a pain as I was over specifically to by stock and it's never been a problem before. I'll be calling into the bank befor next months trip.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Never had a problem with my CA card and my daughter spent nine months over there and had no problems with hers,its cheaper to take one lump out in cash when you get there than keep taking out small amounts, one word of warning is there are a lot of privately owned cash machines which will hit you with some funny old charges,so stick to well known brands,we will be popping over first sat in December for some Xmas shopping and will use French cards for everything, I've paid for bt WiFi the Dartford crossing and a few other things whilst there and had no trouble.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

Never had a problem using my French debit card in the UK and I have used it to purchase large cost items and never had it blocked

Sorry no image available
Posted by ropeyxxx123 - 3 years ago

thank you all for your very prompt replies.good news

cheers

tom

Sorry no image available
Posted by Undercover Reporter - 3 years ago

Watch out for transaction charges, they can be quite high.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

WE have never had a problem using our CA card in the UK for purchases or ATM withdrawals, but my son also has a CA account and he has a separate monthly limit on purchases and cash withdrawals which we had to increase as he is in the UK semi-permanently. (Although this may be because he is a student)

It would be a good idea to check with the bank to see if there are any limits on what you can withdraw or spend on the card, and also just to advise them that you will be in the UK to avoid them blocking the card.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerroux - 3 years ago

I bank with CA who have a limit on the ammount of cash you can withdraw each week so I go to the bank before I go to england and increase this ammount while I am away.

Jon

Sorry no image available
Posted by nellyhei - 3 years ago

My Husband used our French debit card to buy something or the car, dont think he drew out cash? but as the other person said might be a good idea to let the bank know/.