DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Delay in Bourse payments

Posted by Karen-381938 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

geegee42, as others have said, I think everyone whose child gets a Bourse here is grateful.  I got a grant in the UK back in the days when it was felt to be important that all children, whatever their parents' status, had the opportunity to go on to higher education, without having to worry about paying it back later.  Especially as 'later' is the time when they are trying to settle down and maybe start a family.

I'm glad that France, and other countries who offer this opportunity recognise that it is important for a country to invest in its future and that there are intelligent, hardworking and deserving youngsters even in not very well-off families!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

Yes we are checking the online dossier every day, but although the bourse is now definitively confirmed it has still not been actioned. The mediateur says that it is now "technical problems" delaying the payments. In fact I've just emailed again to say that this "excuse" is not acceptable so we'll see if anything else happens. They do at least answer emails. I agree, the biggest problem is that CROUS refuse to answer any correspondence so you just don't know what is going on.

If it were CROUS at Rennes dealing with it, I'd drive down there and sit in the office till we got somewhere, but as its Grenoble....!

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed our son gets some money before Christmas. Bless him, he's upset because he can't afford to buy us any Christmas presents at the moment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nag champa - 3 years ago

The main problem has been the lack in communication from CROUS, at least if they knew when their money was comming they could plan accordingly, Karen hope your son actually gets his money soon...I just kept checking the online dossier every day until we saw the payments had been made, then it was just a wait for it to go into the bank...fingers crossed!

Geegee42, nobody is wingeing, I imagine if you or your children had to wait for a grant payment or wages or benefits that you were entitled to then you would also be unhappy.

Sorry no image available

Nag champa, thanks for your response - it's encouraging to know that this is a general problem and not just a one-off.

Geegee42, you miss the point.

We ARE extremely grateful that our offspring are entitled to get financial help. But that is just the point. Under current legislation they ARE entitled to it and it hasn't been paid. We pay our son's rent and he lives off his bourse. he doesn't go boozing every night and actually spends very little - he has never asked us for extra money because he lives within his means. He budgets to take account of the bourse he knows he should be getting, as do we. For it to be 3 months late is indefensible, my son is now owed around 2400 euros. If you were owed that amount of money, wouldn't you be annoyed?

Karen

Karen

karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Instead of the winging about late payments, you should all be grateful your children actually get a bourse, most country's provide no help whatsoever, most students in other countries end up thousands in debt, in France students from any financial background can go to university, three of my daughter's have been to university over here and left with no debt, we have friends with three children at uni in the UK who will leave with a combined dedt of around £140,000.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nag champa - 3 years ago

Hi Karen, same problem as you this year, we apply through Rennes, sent application in on time and confirmation that he had enroled in sept, didnt get anything paid until November payment when he got 3 at once.

I was chasing constantly as he had rent to pay etc, very bad communication, dossier online not updated etc.  Normally  when our son goes back to uni we just send in confirmation of matriculation, this year we had to provide proof of term time residence too (though it took weeks to get an answer about what they actually wanted) Last year and this year they want proof that he is still at uni in January to authorise the rest of the payments (they did not want this in his first year)  When they wanted the january proof last year I just got a new confirmation certificate issues by the uni and sent that. I thought it might just be Rennes that was being slow, apparently they have taken over handling bourses for all French agricultural students this year so were swamped.

Sorry no image available

No this is a full 4 year degree course in Scotland.

I know people have had problems this year getting access to a bourse for courses in the UK, but the Crous website is quite clear that a student is eligible for a bourse (which of course is subject to parental income declared on tax returns) to study for a degree in the UK subject to certain conditions (approved university and course etc). My son is in his fourth year and has never had any problems in the past 3 years.

It just seems to us this year that they are trying to find excuses not to pay it even though he is entitled to it. Maybe this is also why they are trying to say that UK courses are not eligible.

Karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I don't really understand, is he doing his full degree course in Scotland or is it part of his French degree course and he has a year to complete in the UK, other people we have known, had to pay when their children decided to do their degrees in the UK as they were told they would only be entitled if it was for one year as part of their French degree.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Hi Karen

I absolutely agree. What do they expect him to live on while they're sitting on his bourse? It wouldn't be a problem if it was all spelled out clearly at the start and requiring something from the university to say that his progress and attendançe have been satisfactory hardly explains the delay in getting this terms money to him in the first place! 

Jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

It could be that your son is in Scotland that is causing the problems.  Are they cracking down on students who are at university outside of France this year?  Or maybe they select a percentage of students each year to follow closely and your son is one of the (un)fortunate ones.

My son is at university here in France and hasn't been asked for term results (yet!).  Of course, he has to show end of year results and has to turn up at all lectures, unless he has a very good excuse;  I presume the university contacts CROUS if he doesn't.  So there are probably ways that CROUS checks with French universities direct - this may not be possible with unis outside of France.

I suppose we should just be happy that they don't have to take out massive loans and spend the first couple of decades of working paying them off, like they do in the UK and US!