DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving on UK plates

Posted by tarmachead - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I think probably everyone on here could tell you,there have been loads of posts about the right way and the wrong way too go about it

Sorry no image available
Posted by regwingfield@gmail.com - 3 years ago

Can any person on here tell me the proper way to proceed to Register your U.K. vehicle, Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

good point airpo,  although there are funds into which we all have to chip in through our policy payments, contrary to the fact that most people think emergency treatment is free in France, hospitals can and do claim against the guilty driver's insurance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Steverockers, that does assume that they are actually insured somewhere.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Surely it's hardly worth worrying about the odd Brit that's breaking the law and I don't think I've seen anyone with personalised UK plates that actually lives here. I'd be more worried about French drivers who I'm sure do exactly the same thing, why would it be any different? The majority of vehicles on the road are French and you're far more likely to be involved in an accident with them, or agricultural machinery (seems to be more of this on our local roads than cars!), ropey old lorries, no permit required cars etc etc. Just a personal opinion but I think we should go for LHD cars here as overtaking and a lot of junctions are quite dangerous in a RHD vehicle...after all, it is something they do here so we ought to comply and it all helps with integration!

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Reveuse- I have come across these companies before they used to insure the expat uk reg vehicle third party with a company in the country where the expat is situated to comply with the insurance laws then bolt on "english policies" such as windscreen cover etc.This was fine until the development of computerised insurance records and ANPR and the expat took their car back to the UK and PING-loads of expats minus cars as there was no insurance shown on the database.Then they moved over to insuring expats long term some people got sucked in and then made a claim-and you can guess what happens.Really these policies are for UK residents who are in the EU long term such as road trips cross border workers etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Totally agree with cd's last comment. What I don't like is when people try to justify themselves and invent their own rules to prove that it's OK, which can confuse newbies as to what actually is right and what isn't. If you know the rules and consciously decide to ignore them and take the consequences, on their own head be it. But misleading newbies into doing the wrong thing in all innocence, is wrong.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

airpo-I agree with everything you say but having lived in the EU since 2005 and seen all the scams and wheezes that Brits pull just to avoid doing something simple and straightforward and seen many of them come a huge cropper I now do not worry unduly about them and yes I do know that the cars will be poorly maintained they probably do not submit a French tax return use an EHIC for healthcover  etc.But Steve rockers is right EU law is such that insurance companies now have to pay out to third parties in the event of accidents but they will then pursue the individuals concerned for their costs;if people want to be in the merde, tant pis but do not pull others down with them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

Actually, if they wrap themselves round you, rather than a tree, I believe that the insurance cover will be reduced to the minimum required by law in that country - probably third party - so, if it is their fault, you will get a pay out and they won't.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Countrydweller, that's fine if they wrap their vehicle around a tree, the problem is when they run into and cripple someone else, most won't have the assets to properly compensate their victim or their victims family.

Also if someone is prepared to break the law in this respect, what other traffic laws are they prepared to break, obviously they don’t get their vehicles CTed, so they have no idea how safe or otherwise they are, therefore more likely to have an accident.

Monkeynut, I do and will continue to play ‘spot the number plate’ game, I want to be as far away from these morons as possible, in the same way as I keep as far away as possible from the cars with blue windscreen washers and vanity plates when I’m in the UK.