DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EHIC card and Residencey

Posted by DrZed - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

CharlotteM has explained it a very few words.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I suppose it is a question of common sense-if you go to the Drs once in a blue moon then probably you might get away with it.If however you are there every week then probably even the most dim witted work experience clerk at the DWP may twig that something is not right.In addition the EHIC does not cover things like repatriation and ancillary charges.Also now that Advanced Passenger Info is being applied to ferries and the tunnel coupled with better info sharing between countries and Govt Depts means that there is a good chance that problems can occur.

You can join the CMUbefore 5 years and if you do not have an S1 if you have an income of at least €9600 and you pay 8% on income above that amount. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Muffin1 - 3 years ago

Corky do you pay 8% contribution (social Tax) of monies you receive to the French system to be eligible ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by corky33-898981 - 3 years ago

As an early retiree you can be accepted by the French Health Service provided your income is sufficient.  You can apply after 3 months as a full time resident.  I am an early retiree and have never worked in France and both my wife and I are in the French system. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Original question, NO, you will need private health cover 'til you reach 'beer token' age, 65, been there and paid up (different if you work are employed here).

Kind Regards, Bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chrispy-108529 - 3 years ago

As I understand it residency in France and the UK is not just a matter of days spent in a country.  There are tests of intention and the availability of accomodation.  The problem with non independant professiional advice is that an individual can become resident in two countries.  You may say that the double tax treaties may cover, but they only cover on the basis that tax rates match and will not cover if the specific tax occurs in only one country.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 3 years ago

"If you are declaring your tax return in France and pay social charges associated with that then you could get a carte vitale" - the "social charges" called CSG that you pay on eg investment income declared on your tax return, do not entitle you to anything. They're just another tax. If you want to join CMU you have to apply, and if accepted you will be billed for cotisations by URSSAF.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grumposgirl - 3 years ago

May I suggest you just phone the relevant department in the uk and get it from the horses mouth so to speak - we are early retirees and recently moved to France we spent some time on the phone to relevent government departments in the uk all of which were really helpful and explained all sorts of senarios - in short , early retirees are nolonger eligable for an S1 and once you are resident in France no you are entitled to no routine NHS  care or an EHIC card.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 3 years ago

If you are under official retirement age in the UK then you aren't eligible to use your EHIC if resident in France. If you are declaring your tax return in France and pay social charges associated with that then you could get a carte vitale,otherwise you'd need private insurance.  If you are already receiving a UK state pension or disability pension then you are eligible for an EHIC which will be useful to use in England when you stay there, or any other European country except your European country of residence. You would probably be better to remain tax resident in the UK untilo you reach state retirement age.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

It is perhaps worth noting that my understanding is that as a French resident with a UK issued EHIC  the only EU country that my card is NOT valid in is France.