DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Expiring passport question

Posted by montypython-428832 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

I think the OP asked for a definitive source of what is acceptable.

I do not think there is one for UK nationals,

because

The list of acceptable ID to prove the right to travel according to the Schengen agreement is contained within the annex to the agreement. Each country lists the acceptable form of ID for its nationals.

No country lists Driving Licence.

The UK not being a signatory does not define acceptable ID for its nationals.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chalkmarks - 3 years ago

I shall tell you when I've tried Buster... as I say for the French an expired UK passport is usually more than acceptable..

do not apply UK regulations to the French, it just doesn't usually work! but then what does? lol

I've already had two ten year and one five year carte de sejour, the prefecture told me when the last one expired (around 10 years ago) it was no problem for them to issue me with another one .. will be interesting to find out, eh?

The other option I'm seriously considering is taking French nationality.. passports unnecessary - carte d'identité gratuit AND I get to vote in national elections... wow!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

If you are a uk citizen & live in france you need a passeport - its your ID - you wont get a carte d sejour without one!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chalkmarks - 3 years ago

Mmm all very interesting...

I realise the UK does not recognise expired passports at all

but I know France does, for a further 5 years unless I can be shown to be wrong .. and it is quite feasible to imagine Spain does too, for ID purposes.

As far as I understand things, there is clearly no need for a passport or ID to enter a Schengen country (whilst crossing internal borders) but it is certainly a national obligation to carry a recognised form of ID as in France where there is law about carring ID at all times.

What in reality is a legal form of ID as against an 'accepted' from of ID such a driving licence or other corroborating evidence is of course, in practice, qute probably very different depending on the circumstances under which you are being asked to present your ID!

I have a recently expired UK passport. I have no intention whatsoever of renewing it until I see I may be going to the UK.

In fact the way things are at the moment I may quite possibly, and instead, request a new carte de sejour or even French nationality!

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 3 years ago

The simple thing to do is to renew the passport even if the licence should be OK. When I last renewed my passport the new one was valid for 10 years and four months, ten years from the expiry date of the old one.

The six months left rule only applies when travelling to particular countries, the USA for example, it certainly doesn't apply to Spain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by montypython-428832 - 3 years ago

Many thanks again for all the replies - a new passport it is then!

Thanks again

Monty 

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

For travel within the schengen area there is no restriction on travel that is you can pass through borders without a passport.However you may need to prove that you are an EU citizen to exercise that right so a state ID card or a passport may need to be produced.If you are flying then you should refer to your airlines rules

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

Or this one. This one States driving licences not acceptable as ID

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htmg 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

What about this one it does state passport or identity card to travel in EU countries 

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187427-s602/Spain:Crossing.The.Border.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by montypython-428832 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for all the replies.  Still looking for a link to an official website for confirmation though!

Thanks again

Monty