Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


filing UK tax return online

Posted by mrsoverall - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrsoverall - 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. My confusion comes from not being able to do something this year that I could do last year. Most of the sites suggested by HMRC are for filing returns for businesses, and a couple have ceased trading. I just want to claim back a small amount of tax earned by interest from a savings account that will only pay interest that is taxed. I shall have to go back to using paper and snail mail. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

Forgot to say that Taxcalc for individuals costs £26.59 as a download. That gets you six returns for one year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

Yes-I have used Taxcalc for the past 12 years or so for calculating  tax liability both when self-employed and lately for recovering tax on didvidends and automatically filing online.

Fairly easy program to use, they have a choice of using the official HMRC on-screen forms or their own easier to understand sinple step forms.

It prints out your tax return, summaries and sends the return to HMRC with a reciept.

Remember that you have to register to get a UK government gateway number to 

file online self-assessment returns.






















Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 4 years ago

I don't know if the uk tax website has beeen up-dated for this year's tax return, but up until now you haven't been able to fill in a foreign residents page. This means you have to use commercial software if living abroad. The good news is that it is very easy to use once installed. I use Andica and have had no problems.