DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fiscal Dementia

Posted by rua-408032 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

I usually receive my third (final) invoice at the end of August for payment in September.  As previously mentioned, this one is the actual outstanding balance payable.  The first two each represent one third of the previous year's total.

Every spring, once I have  prepared the figures for my declaration, I request an online estimate.  This takes only seconds  and is always the exact amount of the total for which I am later invoiced.  (This saves any nasty surprises!)  

I always complete my declaration and make my payments online.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

OK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Thank you emu for explaining it more clearly.  The way we pay  was brought in as a way for the french government to get their hands on money earlier than they would have done.   I do realise that there are monthly payment schemes etc, but this was brought in for people who paid annually.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emu-408495 - 3 years ago

Rance, for a number of years now the tax office has taken two payments at intervals in the year based on previous returns.   The third payment is taken in August which is calulated from this years return. It may of course be a refund if income for current declaration is much lower than in previous years.  CSG/CRDS payments are also taken in this way.  If people have entered into an agreement to pay in some other way such as  monthly or three payments per year than this does not apply to them as they have an agreement of their choice with the tax office.  We know a number of people, including ourselves, who have payments taken in this way.

Sorry no image available

We don't kerguen. Like others we have the ability to pay in several ways, such as monthly, or go online and pay it in a way that suits, or the standard 3 payments a year

Who pays it in the way you have stated? I don't say it is not done like you have put it but neither us, our Son or Daughter have our declarations estimated.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

You now pay your estimated tax bill in 3 parts to the tax office  - when they actually receive your tax information and work out the correct bill  - they return any overpayment or adjust the 3rd payment to correct the amount paid for the year.

Sorry no image available

Brian Stone: They can't over estimate and refund anything, as the bill hasn't yet been given out and not yet been paid.

I see what you mean Reveuse, it has ben a few years since we claimed for work having been done and getting a tax allowance for it. I took it literally as a tax rebate, rather than a tax refund for the things you mentioned.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

You get crédit d'impots for all kinds of reasons, such as employing people on CESU, installing woodburners or making other energy efficient home improvements, etc. And if the credit comes to more than your tax bill, you get a refund.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 3 years ago

Because they over-estimated and took too much.

Sorry no image available

Refunds, how does that work out?