DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fosse Septique

Posted by Smudger22 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

If your fosse is causing pollution or it is not working correctly (it can still work even if not up to norms) there is also the option of an interest free loan from your bank, so you pay it back monthly over several years.    We were told by SPANC we could have both but not mention to the bank we were getting the grant as they might not give it in that case.

The interest free loan has been discussed before - I think  something like an eco-pret 0% loan.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

About 70% of houses have a fosse septique which does not meet current standards. There are not enough installers to replace all of those in a sensible amount of time, so the regulations are not enforceable. If you decide not to replace your fosse, make sure that it is not causing a pollution problem, perhaps by having it emptied before it becomes really full with 'sludge', perhaps every year or two depending on your circumstances.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

We moved north from the Dordogne in 1999 and we were given instructions in the 35 dept that we had to comply by 2002.  And no grants were left as other areas of the 35 had used up all the funds. Here we are in 2015 and still reading about deadlines. I have no doubt these deadlines will go on for a very long time yet. We moved some 8 years to to dept 22, where we ensured that we bought a house on the mains!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Exactly.  I've been here long enough to remember the talk of all houses would be inspected by 2010.  There are still areas that haven't had that initial inspection.  And when I bought my present place there certainly hadn't been any compulsory inspection at the time of the sale.  The owners just stated "there is no fosse" so nothing to waste money inspecting.  The French know the score.  As I have said many times before, and been deleted for it.  Do as the French do and don't make waves.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Explorer-386899 - 3 years ago

I think it depends on which region you are in.  There is much fuss and bother here in Finisterre with edicts saying that all should be up to scratch by 2017.  On selling a house, in the compromis de vente, is a clause that the new owners will have up to one year to sort out the fosse. The sellers have to pay for the inspection by Saur which then gives a report of the situation and what needs to be done for the upgrade. 

In truth, around here there are many houses with the fosse and I am reliably told that no one will bother to comply with the regulation;  that, in the end, the local mairies or the prefecture will simply have to go to government to get the funds to put more houses on the mains and to sort out the rest. Enforcement?  How? 

You might be worrying for nothing - can you not get a general feel for what is going on in your own district?  Locals usually know the gen.

Sorry no image available

I should add.............this scenario only applies to a fosse that doesn't comply with the latest regs.  If the installation is actually causing pollution to the surrounding area it (can be) a whole different kettle of fish.

Sorry no image available

This question has been asked many times before.  Although some big fines have been quoted, no one has ever posted an incidence of someone actually being fined.  The controlling authorities rarely check to see if someone has complied, and if the person hasn't, they are just given more time.  ie. no enforcement like so many regulations here.