DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French pension

Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Hi Hitech

2 links below. Sorry there's quite a lot to wade through but it is ALL useful. In the first link, the bit about the reduction of the best 25 years pro rata is in B Le Calcul de la Pension Communautaire but you'll need to read the whole thing to understand how they worked the example. The second link says the same but, from memory, it wasn't as clear as the first.

Hope this helps.

http://www.la-retraite-en-clair.fr/cid3191329/la-retraite-des-expatries-dans-des-pays-union-europeenne-exemple.html

http://www.cleiss.fr/particuliers/preparer_votre_retraite883.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by HiTech-394712 - 3 years ago

That link would be great thanks as I've just about got my head around how a frenchmans pension is worked out but just not sure how they'd use the english contributions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Hi Hitech

If you have worked for 30 years in the UK and 9 years in France, your French pension will not be based on the best 25 years you have worked in France. The number of years used to calculate it will be reduced pro rata. I have a link somewhere that explains how they do it which I can send you if you are interested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

If you are employed in France, you could go and see your local CARSAT:

https://www.carsat-bretagne.fr/

I understand you have to make an appointment and probably have to take all your papers concerning how long you've worked and where with you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HiTech-394712 - 3 years ago

Just to throw in a slightly different angle has anyone had experience of using their 30 odd years UK contributions towards enough trimestres for the full french pension?

I've just turned 60 with 30 plus uk contributions and 9 years so far in french employment and am considering the possibilities.

Can I retire at 62 on a decent french pension?

What would it benefit to try and work till I'm 66? Get the full UK pension and a 15 year pro rata french pension. Obviously it would depend on a lot of variables

UK still in EU.

How much the standard pension is paid out at.

Rate for euro against the Pound.

Etc.

But the main thing I cant get my head round is how they work out the french pension if its partly based on a percentage of the best 25 years of wages out of the 40. ie how do they convert the years of uk wages into euro amounts and does it fluctuate?

I know you are going to say go and talk to a pensions expert but it seems pointless paying for advice that may well be completely out of date in 2 years time.

I'm just interested in how people may have found it works presently.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 4 years ago

Thank you Orme2 - very helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 4 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 4 years ago

But is it possible to buy extra years here?

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 4 years ago

.Be very careful and do your sums Charlotte sometimes it doesn't pay to buy ormat h up years ,take advice first .

Sorry no image available
Posted by winda1 - 4 years ago

Pat-paul - pray tell us what you did here for two years to get that pension pot!