DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fuel prices

Posted by anglofile - Created: 4 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Cornwall's problem is that houses rose fast and are now too high. They've been out of reach for most locals there for years. I can still remember when the county offered bargain housing compared with the southern counties farther east.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 4 years ago

Thesituation in UK is currently mired in uncertainty hence house prices holding or rising this is due to various independent factors:

+ UK deficit is not falling as fast as hoped due to many low paidlow taxed jobs.

+ The forthcoming election is uncertain in outcome and regardless of winner will mean a much harsher public sector/services environment - due to poor management of the deficit.

+ Euro is being adversely affected by the risk of Greece reverting to the Drackma and general stagnation in most countries except Germany.

France is seen as a link country and even here the freeing of markets is taking place but at a slower rate than needed and in more restricted scope so unlikely to raise the number of jobs needed.

So overall a mixed picture that shows no  clarity for the future. This is regardless of the Ukraine situation that will act as a drag on the Euro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Motard - 4 years ago

At the beginning of the month I read a piece about the Swiss stopping their policy of pegging the Swiss Franc at 1.20 euros. To achieve this they had been buying billions of euros per month to boost the euro and keep down the value of the franc. When this was announced there was a noticeable lurch down in the value of the euro presumably caused by the fall in demand from the Swiss. I am not an expert but this is what I read and there seemed to be a noticeable effect . . . I think the spiralling house prices may be a regional thing cos in Cornwall there is no spiralling going on.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

"Do not know about € at an all time high.  When we came here 11 years ago it was 1.5, and have been told by others that before then it was even higher!"

Correct.  When I arrived it was €1.60 to the £.  I seized the opportunity to be a homeowner again after living on a boat.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 4 years ago

It still seems to me that the UK economy isn't 'balanced' correctly...don't forget that we were told everything was fine pre the 'crash' but it was fairly obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that it wasn't. It didn't suddenly happen, which is what they want you to believe, the 'black hole' was building up over several years. The exchange rate is very good for cheap imports but getting to the point where exports are too expensive...good for the consumer but not too sure if it's good for the economy? The figures don't stack up, in my opinion...low wages, low prices and low profits point to a low tax take which can't be good. I'm not too sure that the UK economy isn't just a 'game' for foreign investors, look what they did to the house prices in the South East a year or two ago! Hopefully I'm completely wrong...

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 4 years ago

Apart from the French Government tax increases on fuel I am sure that the current weak euro means that France (probably all Europe) is paying more because of exchange rates, oil is normally bought in dollars.

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 4 years ago

early 2004 £-€ was 1.67.

I am now back in UK, just to temper what you hear in the media, I believe the house price index has now been taken out of the headline inflation indices, so to me in real life, things seem to have been on a plateau for a while, yes fuel is a fair bit cheaper (20%), food is generally cheaper as are clothes, but all this is offset, by spairalling house prices. The general stability of the economy and jobs is a good point, but no one knows for how long it will last.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 4 years ago

Do not know about € at an all time high.

When we came here 11 years ago it was 1.5, and have been told by others that before then it was even higher!

Sorry no image available
Posted by nellyhei - 4 years ago

This week I paid 63cents per litre for our C/H oil hasn't been that low for a long time, last winter I'm sure it was 80-101cents+ made you think twice about leaving the heating on all day! something that I didn't have to think of back in UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 4 years ago

Fuel prices may rise a little. The OPEC countries are still producing the same amount but the Americans have cut production to try and raise prices for more profit.

The Euro is still unsteady as the some of the Eurozone countries are still suffering from poor growth and quite high unemployment. The greek problem will still cause uncertanty as well as Ukraine. The ECB's quantitive easing starts next month and although this is well know in the markets and some of the Euro losses have already been factored in, there may well be some more losses to come. Some analysts are predicting a possible drift towards 1.40e to the pound.