DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hourly rates of pay for artisans

Posted by sallietwist - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Dibbyspot is quite right of course. Every devis I've ever had from an artisan quotes a figure for the job. Usually they tell you how much of that is for main d'oeuvre, sometimes they break it down to the hourly rate, but does it really matter? It's the price you pay for the job that counts after all. If one artisan has a lower hourly rate but charges you for more hours to achieve the same end result, where's the advantage in that.

Get at least three quotes from each trade and that'll give you a good idea of the going rate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 3 years ago

A dividend is taken from end of year profit alone.

Start up capital in terms of tools, machines and vehicles etc can be withdrawn whenever there is sufficient money available.

If your going to turnover peanuts then an SARL may not be the right regime due to the accounting costs of around 3k.

Another point is that as an A.E you are never likely to be offered work for larger tva reg. businesses or organisations nor ever be taken seriously by a bank for credit of any kind.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

While it is a valid question the point is  to get the artisan to charge for the job. This incentivises them to do the work well and quickly. It is also a good basis for comparison if you do seek competing quotes. Have used day rates but only where I have an existing relationship and trust the artisan. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

I thought the dividend  has now changed and now only alowes10% of your start capital per year to be paid as dividend (so barely anyhting unless you have invested loads). the rest is taxed at higher rate. it used to be better but isnt anymore...I had an SARL so know what I am saying and paid as taxes and cotisations etc, I am now AE and way mich better off with anything, so for me it works and I ma very happy to no longer be an SARL :)  every business is different of course.

Sorry no image available

Most A.E merely THINK they are cheaper as they have no means of knowing if they are making a REAL profit or not without accounting in placem

Jack

Sorry no image available

Totally incorrect statement Ingetje.

You do not pay 45% on your profit.

You draw a salary and pay social charges on this.

Profit taken as a dividend is TAXED at 15% for sums up 30k and 30% thereafter.

You may also withdraw free of all charges a percentage of your original investment in the company at any time.

So if you put in a truck, minipelle and tools worth 60k then that can be paid back to you in addition to profit and salary.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

It is more the principal with CFE ,if we lived in the next village would come under a different commune and alot lower charge .

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

wirth SARL you pay 45% cotisations on your profit...., but then the profit isnt yours yet, if you want to pay yourself some of it then you pay lots of taxes on that as well...and even if you dont earn anything at all you still pay cotisations as an SARL.... even dividends are now highly taxed! with AE you only pay on what you earn. I think that is why bigger companies charge more as they have more costs...If an AE can do your job it would be a lot cheaper and no VAT to be paid, already a big difference :)

Sorry no image available

All the various regimes pay much the same in social charges.

Tax wise, an SARL is the most efficient.

If you are bothered about CFE then you must have a tiny turnover for that to affect you..

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

What for CFE?? Wow. I paid just under 400€ and most people I know around here in Normandy paid less.