DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How to Write Wills in France

Posted by jimbo99-445600 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Good point that 'one4all' has made...it has to be HAND WRITTEN.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

A will in France has to be hand-written and witnessed. The majority of Notaires will do this for no charge for a simple will. Personal circumstances i.e. number of dependants, beneficiaries etc. could complicate your wishes  so always best to discuss with your Notaire, most people use the same one involved in their property purchase.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

.... don't forget that although a handwritten french will helps folks distribute the stuff according to your wishes, it does not encompass the same as the english executor/probate system nor address the real problem of the succession (how the fisc taxes the gifts).  I'm sure most people are aware, but I'm flagging this up as there are lots of confused ideas that the one substitutes for the other.  I am surprised a notaire took the will without asking you to 'open a succession' !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

We did the same as VIRAGO but our Notaire charged us €30 for the 2 Wills (hubby and me). It's called Testament Olographe (holographic Will) and is the most common type used in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LeParigot - 3 years ago

Yes Kerveor, it is very simple. VIRAGO has just given the answer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

I would suggest that you buy a copy of Connexion special will edition as it might not be as simple as you think .

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

On the advice of my notaire I hand wrote, in English, a simple will.  My notaire witnessed my signature, stamped it with his official stamp and gave me a copy.  He kept the original.  This took all of 15 minutes and was free of charge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sarah - 3 years ago

There is some info here - http://brittany.angloinfo.com/information/money/pensions-wills/french-wills/