DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Illegal social charges

Posted by josee-425356 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I'm confused! We live in France but have a plot of land in another EU country that we are considering selling. Does that mean we would have to declare it and pay social charges on it? If so, we won't bother selling!

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Am I correct in saying that social charges are applied only to the sale of a house that is not your main residence?

Sorry no image available

This is discussed in The Connexion apparently there is a help line 08 12 04 00 95 that people can call for advice on how to claim.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

whyme, the "profit" on your house sale is seen as income, therefor subject to social charges! but not if you live in antoher country it seems, so you can claim the social charges part back but still need to pay the other part of taxes on the profit.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Whyme?-991477 - 3 years ago

I don't understand this.  Why would you pay social charges on the sale of a house? Can someone please explain.

Sorry no image available

You need to show that at the time of the sale you were a non resident affiliated to another countries social security system and also the French govt is looking at ways of" rebranding" this tax to avoid repayment,but you need to make application to the Impots office for your area