DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Impots after leaving France

Posted by lostinthelonggrass-121999 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lostinthelonggrass-121999 - 3 years ago

Yes, I think it was a sily question and the wrong place to ask. I was not trying to avoid paying any taxes that were due. My income has been so low in France that I have not in fact paid any taxes after making my declarations. The real question was should I still make a declaration and having checked today I know the answer is yes. Thank you for all comments. I know you can always rely on some anglinfo contributors to be as unpleasant as possible whilst others try to be helpful. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by lostinthelonggrass-121999 - 3 years ago

Yes, I think it was a sily question and the wrong place to ask. I was not trying to avoid paying any taxes that were due. My income has been so low in France that I have not in fact paid any taxes after making my declarations. The real question was should I still make a declaration and having checked today I know the answer is yes. Thank you for all comments. I know you can always rely on some anglinfo contributors to be as unpleasant as possible whilst others try to be helpful. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Why ask on here, all you will get are conflicting comments and as usual unwanted comments so surely the best thing to do would be to visit your tax office and explain the situation to them, you will then have a definitive answer from the horses mouth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

Of course you will have notified the appropriate authorities when you sold your house so that you would stop paying taxe d'habitation and taxe fonciere, they will have had a forwarding address from you.

We closed our French bank account soon three months after leaving France (because Tresorie were still dipping in and taking housing taxes - later sorted)

We later received notification (in the UK)  that the Tresor Publique was not able to dip into our account to take their impots. I contacted them and indicated if they could give us their bank details we would send the taxes owing by bank transfer - that worked!

However we later received notification that they had made a mistake and we had overpaid the taxes, so they sent us a eurocheque!

They will catch up with you as they are also in touch with the UK tax authorities.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

The issue is irrellevant due ot the double tax treaty. You only end up paying tax in one domicile for most normal cases unless property is involved. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Fill in the tax return,groan & moan about it,then pay it,don't forget big brother knows where you are and everything about you,good luck with your move.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Same as you did when you left the UK but in reverse.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

It depends if you give your new UK address out to anyone. When we sold, tbe Notaire had our new UK address and in time we received the usual French  impot form through the post to our UK address.

We filled out the form as usual, sent it back, had no tax to pay but also HMRC wrote to us for details of our income..

So, in effect, as the French tax regime ended, so the UK regime began.  

So in answer to your question, big brother will find you, Just depends I guess. Even if you leave no forwarding address they will probably find you. It depends if you   want   to be found ! ! ! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

You have pointed out that you have made tax returns as required so you must be aware that you will need to make one more to cover your last year in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Come on, somebody must have a working crystal ball ? Mine's gone a bit cloudy this evening.