DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance claim

Posted by alvin antrain-799742 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by alvin antrain-799742 - 3 years ago

Sorry to report as expected the insurance company have refused to pay out  thanks for all your help now have to find a solution maybe demolition or ? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelangelo-395396 - 3 years ago

Time for a reality check for some.  There is NO poilcy of Insurance that covers you for every eventuality in France or UK.

It is not a maintenance contract and does certainly not cover damage by fair wear and tear, or damage due to a gradually operating cause , or damage due to defective construction.

In this case we do not have all the facts, we do not know exactly the information given to Insurers which caused them to refuse to send "an expert out" without the client agreeing to pay the fee if its not covered.

I have given the policyholder a suggestion that he approach a consulting engineer for opinion, but fear they will say that its not an Insurance claim.But we need the full facts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

It depends on what the problem is whether french insurance pay up - they use any wriggle room they can from my experience - a friend had all her electrics blown out by an enormous electricity surge - electricity company wouldn't pay and insurance would only pay up on under two year old appliances with receipts!    To minimalise the same sort of problems - Keep receipts and unplug appliances if you know a storm is coming.

Re original posters gable end - same type of scenario as french telecom - they warn you if problem is found to be inside the house you pay more than E100 call out fee,  it is to stop them having  to send someone out at a cost to them  to look at what is wrong when it may not be their problem.

Hope you are successful Alvin  - evidently our gable end was blown down in storms before we bought the house, but the then owner was a builder, so replaced it himself but don't know if it was an insurance claim, so unfortunately am no help to you.

Sorry no image available

I think you are both right I am waiting to here back from a chap who has seen the pics who knows about ground work hoping he can advise me what to do I will let you know how things progress but not holding my breath. Lol

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I have been told that house insurance here  is not worth the value of the piece of paper its written on ! 

It is beginning to look as if this is true from osme of the posted comments so far  -why do we pay it if the cover is that useless .

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

So, for example, if there was a fire-are you all saying that an insurance company won't send anyone to determine what caused it until you investigate yourself?? What exactly are we paying insurance for?

Sorry no image available

Sorry typo error all I know is they want a lot of cash to visit my. Property to assess my problem

Sorry no image available

well yes sadly hence my plea for help one way or another it's is going to cost you  acording to my insurance if I am not certain that you know the cause of the claim and the don't ay out you pay for their device nothing like the uk.

that is why I am looking to find out what has caused the problem first as cheaply as possible .

i think is unfair but hey when in France !

Sorry no image available
Posted by John Rodney - 3 years ago

I am finding this post a little unnerving and confusing. 

In UK if I had such a problem I would inform the insurance company and they would send out an assessor.  He would then make a decision.  End of story or beginning of negotiations.

Is the system so very different in France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelangelo-395396 - 3 years ago

Hi , the answer to your question would depend on us having much more information than you have provided thus far.

I am back in the UK now , but spent my working career dealing with property claims in conjunction with surveyors, consulting engineers etc and went on site inspection surveys dealing with subsidence sand landslip claims.

A gable wall can collapse for  many reasons, including inadequate foundations,poor construction, plain wear and tear etc.  Could be  tree root related and or heave. If you care to email me some photos and give full details of construction, age of wall etc , I might be able to point you in right direction as to whether Insurers MIGHT PAY , or whether you need instruct at your expense a consulting engineer in the area.  my email address is :- michael.wynne@orange.fr.

Hope this might be of assistance to you.

Mike