DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance claim after an accident

Posted by Weeks-399941 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

However as you are still in hospital it is too early to fight for compensation as it will probably be paid globally ,when you have seen an expert for your medical claim and car claim .

Sorry no image available

The way it was explained to me was ,a while ago to stop escalating insurance claims the insurance companies got together and set out rules for compensation between themselves ,nice one ! You can guess who comes out financially worse in this cozy agreement .If you are not happy with the experts evaluation it is up to you to challenge it .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Weeks-399941 - 3 years ago

Thank you for your advice,  our car has been totally written off, and the amount we are being offered will not replace it, and I am still in hospital nearly 3 weeks after the accident, which incidentally was 100% the other party's fault.

Sorry no image available

Again avoican not quite correct ,the injuries have to be "consolidated" ie in a fixed state not likely to deteriorate any more .PJ is not always necessary it depends on whether the insurance companies are willing to talk to each other and pay up .There can be a long delay it depends on if they agree or not .If you consider it going on too long you thenget your PJ involved ,it is not obligatory .Also if you want a second experts opinion it is down to you to get one and pay for it .If you live near a Qui Choisir. ,the french Citizens advice bureau ,they can be very helpful and cost just 30€.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Well done George  V you obviously didn't read the question properly !  

As to claiming for injuries sustained in an accident the best way is to see if your judicial insurance (household or car policys) covers you and then get an Avocat to do it for you , its only after your injurys are semi healed before they will even start to talk about compensation . You may have to go to an expert Doctor who will establish the value of your pain ( Pressium doloris) and if its a long term condition it can take a while ..

I was run off my motorbike by a drunk in 2010 , the insurance paid my bike straight away but am still waiting for my compensation settlement ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

At the time of the accident you fill in the form jointly and submit a copy to your insurance company.  The other party will submit a copy to his/her insurance company.  You need to put on the form the facts without necessarily giving blame though if the other party is happy with that and admits the fault then it can be done.

Then contact your insurance company and in my case I quickly got authority to have the repairs done at the expense of the other insurance company, though the financial side was handled by my insurance company.