DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

John Lewis Partnership credit card

Posted by Cymrus - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by falabella - 3 years ago

I fail to understand too.. but I must say that i have bought quite a bit from them online at christmas time.  They are quite competative sometimes- for childrens toys especially.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I fail to undrstand why anyone would want a John Lewis card anyway.. I lived close  a new John lewis store in the UK, used to visit but when I compared prices with other stores and online, I never purchased anything from them , I saved a lot of money buying elsewhere , perhaps it is the customer service that makes it worthwhile to buy from them ?

Sorry no image available

No debt.. with a card I was always having to transfer money to pay it every month.  After a little while of catching up I no longer have to have a credit card because the money I would have put to the card each month goes into my savings account and I use that to pay by bank card or paypal. 

If I don't buy anything I have lots of money... not lots of debt! I have come to terms with it now... not having credit.. but it was hard !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by brodeuse - 3 years ago

Falabella, I'm just interested to know why it is so much better not to have a card?

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Yes it has just happened to me as well with John Lewis and I am fighting it as I am actually a resident of the UK, not France and I only have my statements sent here for convenience.  Before that I had a John Lewis account card for more years than I can remember and that had various addresses on it in various parts of the world.  John Lewis never suggested I was not still living in the UK and were happy that I should buy from them.

HSBC is a terrible bank and has caused me many problems over the last year alone, each time having to back down and pay compensation.  John Lewis would do well to find a bank that provides the level of care and customer service that John Lewis are rightly proud of.

I have a useful email address at John Lewis which might be useful.  Email me direct.  Alternatively use Twitter.  They respons quickly to social media complaints.

Sorry no image available

well when this happened to me a few years ago I wet my pants over it too! - It doesn't help at all.. its just the financial rules set by the UK government , and perhaps the EU too I think. If they don't have your bank account they don't know where the money's coming from to pay the card you see so you could be money laundering by buying 'things'... that's how they see it.

Anyway since then I've got over it and you know its so much better not having a card!-

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cymrus - 3 years ago

Have written to Andy Street (CEO of JL) and lets see how he responds....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Write to the CEO of JL and explain this folly you can find his details at ceoemail.com. You may also consider if you wish to hold the card "changing to a UK address". Good luck with the discrimination but recognise that theire is no "free market" in financial services. Thi sis something UK government have supported in the past but is now lost in the "hysteria" around money laundering/ terrorism etc.

Bon chance

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I think it depends entirely on whether you use the card. If you don't or only use it very occasionally I guess they class your card as not profitable.

I have had a couple of spats with Barclaycard who would not reissue a lost card so wrote to their complaints department and got an instant response and a replacement card registered to my French address-so it pays to complain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cymrus - 3 years ago

Thanks for that! I still think it qualifies as a legal discrimination under EU law and I am going to see how far I can go with my compalint(s).

regards

peter