DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

looking for a job

Posted by aggy-aero - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chloebartley - 3 years ago

More good advice always welcome !

Sorry no image available
Posted by chloebartley - 3 years ago

Unfortunately Laval is too far for me to travel. I'm counting on moving from Rennes in 2 years time to go somewhere with more opportunities but for now i'm looking for a job here.

I will take a look at the Proz website.

Thank you all for the information !

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

There is plenty of work in France but you have to be prepared to travel,the UK as my daughter found is not a pot of gold as starting salaries are not that great and accommodation is expensive, I have two daughter's working in paris and one who has similar qualifications to your daughter has now gone off down south working for three months,her intention is a years work then off to do a masters ,so far she has worked in the UK and in paris ,she works through agencies,one of my other daughters completed her degree and is doing her masters ,plenty of work in and around Paris.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

If your daughter is looking for a job and big money - retunr to the UK. London has a huge French community and the skills your daughter has would be in huge demand in London at a huge salary too I expect. UK education seems not to value languages and so there is a gap.

Like they say in the movies, "follow the money" - if I was starting again I certainly would follow that route. After making a pile in the UK she can return to France with experience and the money and contacts.

Bon chance

Sorry no image available
Posted by aggy-aero - 3 years ago

Thanks very much for the info Alex, I will pass it on to Chloe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Altodoit - 3 years ago

Hi,

I'm a full-time translator. I started out on the Proz website. You have to pay to be a member and to put up your profile (around 100 euro, I think), but it lists all the agencies in France. A lot of them are looking for young "in-house" translators and it's a great place to learn the ropes. There are also lots of forums, webinars, tips etc. for anyone wanting to start out in translation. She shouldn't have any problems finding an in-house position with her qualifications - especially in Rennes. I'm in the middle of nowhere and I've managed it. I work from home though. I wouldn't advise working from home at her age.She should be in a nice big office with other youngsters. There are some really friendly places. I know of a position in Laval for a French to English full-time translator. A great team of people. Would that be too far away?

Alex