DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to France and coming out of EU

Posted by skinnypigs - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by a3 - 3 years ago

I hear the comments re pre exisiting eu treaties but think you cannot rely on a government who wants to leave the european court of human rights to automatically reinstate them.

The current governments ideaology is to roll back the state and bring in a low tax low wage economy. Restating treaties which will increase costs and give benefits to a sector of the population living abroad will not be particuarly attractive especially when they can save money. Look at the governments attitude to commonwealth ex pats who do not receive the index linking of their state pension.....look at their approach to winter fuel allowance. It will be an easy sell to the home based population...

I appreciate my views are not what people want to hear but i think they are realistic based on what i read, hear and see of the current uk governmenfs approach but i will be extremly happy to be proved wrong in my analysis.

It has occurred to me to speak to my maire about nationality, the 5yr residency rule which i now qualify for and carte de sejour what will be my position if i become a non eu national overnight....i shall also write to my uk mp asking him what the governments proposals for protecting the eu expat buti do not expect a reply.

But to skinnypigs i would say if the finances work out for you give france a go, it is often recommended you do not burn your bridges anyway so you can always go back. We did sell up so a return would be hard finacially now but so much harder culturally that it really would be a decision of last resort but i appreciate not everyone settles as well as we have for lots of different reasons.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

Most of the reciprocal things which affect uk citizens in France are as a result of treaties between the uk and french governments, and are not directly affected by whether uk is in eu or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stroller-817057 - 3 years ago

The OP raised a very good point which a lot of British people seem to be ignoring. Yes, the mood in the UK is changing and there is now a very real possibility of the UK leaving the EU. So some forward planning is a good idea. Though as I found, immigration & visas is a very complex area.

As other posters have wisely said, try and get a French citizenship if you have lived here long enough and can speak French.

If you can qualify for a passport for another EU country from your parents/grand-parents then now is the time to apply. I did that years ago and it has proved very useful to me indeed.

People can apply for a  French Carte De Sejour (Right To Stay) but having had a family member messed around by the Prefecture do not expect to be dealt with fairly by them even when you are entitled to it. As I had to make a formal complaint to the EU before they finally relented. Very stressful, I can tell you.

Just to add that after some French quotes that there were too many British here, I did some research and found that there were about 160,000 British living in France permanently and 400,000 French living in Britain. Much to the surprise of French friends. So the UK government has some leverage there should the French government not play by the rules!

Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Go back to before the UK entered the EU and you will see that there were laws in position then about healthcare, taxes, pensions etc. for people living anod working 'abroad'. if the UK does vote to leave the EC then changes will take place for UK citizens living in France but they will not be half as bad as many people fear. We will be leaving a mutual trade system, not declaring war.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I believe the UK will not leave, for the reasons posted every few weeks when this topic is resurrected.  When Obama pulls the strings, Cameron dances.  Simple as that.  The US wants to retain its backdoor influence in the EU.  It won't matter what the referendum vote is, the result will be fiddled and presented in a way the government wants.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

I believe the UK will unless massive changes are made leave the EU. I also believe that the Situation will be made very difficult for UK citizens from that point on, As said above take up citizenship to be sure. 

Sorry typo. Why no edit facility on this site

Sorry no image available
Posted by a3 - 3 years ago

Ozzy lest just say i was young and niave! It was in 79 of course after the winter of discontent as it was named but with the benefit of hindsight i see that i too helped open pandoras box........i am reminded of queen mary and her supposed statement after the loss of calais back to the french that calais would be engraved on her heart.....regretfutfully i will have i voted thatcher!

To be serious i do not fear what the french government will do which i think will be nothing prejudicial but i do see my financial situation taking a large hit and an exit will probably see the pound tumble against the euro too...we shall see.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

I believe the UK will unless massive changes are made leave the UK. I also believe that the Situation will be made very difficult for UK citizens from that point on, As said above take up citizenship to be sure. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

Do what my wife and children have done and become French citizens

Sorry no image available
Posted by mightymimi-923305 - 3 years ago

Not to worry, my husband is American, he just had to get a carte de sejour, at first every year for 5 years, and then once every 10 years.  For that you have to justify means of living in France, a place to live and speak a little French, if you don't they send you to school (for free).

He speak very very very little but was given the 10 years card because he is retired, 70 years old and he is not going to take anybody's job anyway.

Now if you come here for a job, it is a different story.

Mimi