DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Naturalisation - ceremony at the prefecture

Posted by les wazzo - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by les wazzo - 3 years ago

Thank you.  

Enrolling at the mairie will be the first thing we do as being able to vote was one of the main reasons for the decision.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

My sincere congratulations at having been acknowledged by the French high authorities that you merit a second nationality and can participate in the running of your commune, region and state. Bon courage and join the club!

Don't forget to enrol yourself at your local Marie before the 31st December.

Sorry no image available

Well, we went to the ceremony yesterday evening and it all happened much as Scriptorium said.  There were speeches from the Prefect, the maire of the town where the prefecture is, and a representant for our deputy, who couldn't be there himself.  Then we watched the video and  sang the Marseillaise. (I am glad now that I watched all those rugby matches with my OH as I already knew the first few lines and all of the tune!).  Finally had the drink and nibbles.  All over in about an hour and a half.

There were three of us from our commune and our maire was there and several other 'elus' turned up to support us.  It was a very pleasant occasion.  We finally dressed in 'smart-casual' and were glad we did because although no one was very scruffy, most people were only casually dressed apart from the officials. 

So - fully fledged French citizens now.  Next step is to go and register to vote, and to apply for the identity cards.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Sorry no image available

Orme 2 - that's how I understand it.  I intend to keep my British nationality anyway - you never know when it might be useful.  I will probably apply for a French passport though, when my current British one runs out in a couple of years.

Thank you Scriptorium.  I don't actually live in the Morbihan anymore but still use this site as it's much more reactive than my local one which doesn't have nearly as many members.

I don't expect my local, small sub-prefecture will put on such a big event, but maybe I'm wrong and I will let you know how it was after the event, which is at the end of this month.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

You don't have to do anything to retain your British Citizenship.  You can renounce British Citizenship (a formal procedure), but you cannot have it taken away by another State.  Even Switzerland allows people to become citizens without renouncing their previous nationality now!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eggyeggster - 3 years ago

HI could you let me know what  you had to do  to remain british , as I thought a british citizen who aquires citezenship of another country is not required under uk law to reounce his or hers british nationality ,  I hope this is true  I was thinking that I had nothing to do too keep my british nationality although now a french citizen,  kind regards steve

Sorry no image available
Posted by Scriptorium - 3 years ago

Congratulations. Next Department to you, but we were invited to our Prefecture in St Lo. There were many different nationalities there, including some families from African countries, so some outfits were quite colourful;  most people were smartly attired.  We dressed up because it was a special occasion for our family. Our Mayor drove us there and back to a very impressive reception room in the main official building.  We were all given a talk by the Prefecture, shown a video of what being French meant,why integration is important and what values and benefits can be obtained whilst being a naturalised French citizen. Each person, couple or family were then called forward individually, presented to the Prefecture, given a file with the Naturalisation Certificates and "Livret de Famille" inside. Applause, photos and after everyone was presented we sang The Marseillaise to music! ( words placed inside the documents folder!).  

Fizz and nibbles followed and the Prefecture mingled with the attendees, more photos. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours and all the photos of the ceremony were available to look at online the following day. A few weeks later we applied for our Cartes D'identités, which took about 10 days to arrive. Several weeks after that we wrote to the Service Central d'État Civil in Nantes for the return of our original British Birth, Marriage etc certificates. These were forwarded to our Mairie and we went down and signed for them. We were sent a form to fill in sometime after this to ascertain whether we wished to retain our British Nationality. Hope you have an enjoyable time at your ceremony, it was an altogether pleasant, friendly and proud evening for us.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Undercover Reporter - 3 years ago

Looking forward to hearing an outline of you experience.

Sorry no image available

Thank you all for your best wishes.

We got the information about the dossier off the Prefecture website for our town.  They seem to vary a bit for different departments.  If you google your local prefecture and 'Dossier de Naturalisation' you should get the information you need.  You do need to have the dissier complete before taking it back to the prefecture or it will be refused.

We found the language test easy enough, but we've been here a long time.  You also need, for the interview, a basic understanding of French politics, culture, geography ( yes - I was asked to name three rivers and three regions!) etc

I just hope we won't have to sing the Marseillaise!   I can hum it but that's about all. :o).

It's complicated and quite a long process but I think it's worth it if you are really committed to living in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Undercover Reporter - 3 years ago

Very first thing to do is the language test.  it's degree of ease will depend on your level of French, We both passed easily points wise but i was very surprised at the level of french required, was much higher than i imagined would be required.  It was also quite strange sitting in a class type enviroment listening to a cd with an accent that was from another part of France.

Glad i did it and until you try it you won't know.