DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

no claims bonus

Posted by car22 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Its the same in the UK, insurance companies do not like to pay if they can find a way not to, but car insurance over here is a case of you here there and everywhere for a devi, you seem to have a lot more competition now especially online, my daughter found with her Clio she could get fully completed with bells and whistles online for less than she currently pays for third party, and that was with the online arm  of the company she is insured with, you can check prices and get quotes online via assureland.

Sorry no image available
Posted by convent girl-439588 - 3 years ago

I totally agree that some of your comments are true but, I am nearly fluent and I read all our policies including the small print. No where does it state that in order for a claim to be considered in the event of for example, storm damage to buildings either by wind, flood, trees falling your Marie has to declare a "sinistere" and get agreement from Vannes and there has to be other claims made in the commune. This is not a expat not knowing what they are doing or thinking that it should be the same as UK, simply there are so many "get out of" paying clauses that you and I are not aware of. My French neighbour totally agrees with me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Frankly French insurance is not the problem the problem is that many expats either do not understand what they are insuring against or just "assume" that everything will be the same as in the UK.You need to read the insurance documents carefully ;many companies now provide an English translation but at the very least sit down with the agent and go through things carefully

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I used to be insured with MMA and they accepted my no claims in English. There is a lot of competition in insurance. If they are going to make life akward for you tell them you will take your business elsewhere.

Sorry no image available

Sorry about all the typos in my post

Sorry no image available

We insure with Alliance. They accept our UK no claims without any problem. Like as the poster before, beware French insurance. In the UK we always insured with the NFU. Over the years we made several claims for large items totally legitimately, they always paid out. Since living here for the padt ten years we have tried to make two claims. One being our sitting room floor tiles started getting metre long cracks in them. The "expert" came out and said it was becsuse the water table was so high. Great we thought, we are insured for everything from earthquakes to volcanoes, wrong! Wrong type of water, it needed to be on top of the tiles, not underneath. Secondly hanger roof blew off in bad storm ladt winter that even was an orange alert on the Meteo. Wrong again! Nobody else had made a claim for damages in the commune so hence it was obviously oyr fault and the barn roif was coming off anyway. No notice made by the Marie, ni other reports of damage in your commune.....NO claim. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by motocycliste - 3 years ago

I suggest you insure through AXA in Rostrenen. They accepted our English proof of no claims without any problems and have always been helpfull.