DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

notaire for changes in succession regulations

Posted by coach-426617 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

And be careful to whom you leave your estate.   As Countrydweller says, your estate still comes under the French inheritance tax regime which is very different to that in the UK where, basically, the value of the estate is taxed, whereas in France the value left to each inheritant is taxed seperately.  Anything left to your children (but not step children) is very lightly taxed - around 100,000 Euro per child free and then a rate starting at, I think, 20%..  On the other hand, leave it to a friend, distant relative or a cat's home and there is only something like 5000 Euro tax free and then the remainder is taxed at 60%.  I know that the French state is bankrupt, but I, personally, have no intention of assisting in its recovery !

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

The taxation of inheritance will be under French rules regardless of what type of will you have or even if you do not write one.It is not CGT the inheritors pay it is inheritance tax,which will vary according to where you are in the blood line and the allowances applied

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I went to see a Notaire regarding an Engish will,and was told that capitol gains tax would be levied on every thing, apart from what you leave to your spouse,this was a few months ago,things maywell be clearer now.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Went to see a Notaire in Questembert about this yesterday (Tues), he has very reasonable English (better than my French), and he is au fait with the new regs, he is getting documents together in order to progress things! No charge for yesterdays meeting.

pm me with a phone No. if I can help further.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossbird - 3 years ago

Hi , The notaire in Guemene, Maitre Arens, has English speaking assistants and I believe can speak some English himself.