DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Online tax return question

Posted by Yasminh14 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by babydriver - 4 years ago

Not sure you can 'look through it' as such. It displays the sections one at a time and it only moves on to the next question when you've completed the previous one. But it is very user friendly and you can go back and change things before you submit it. And you can rectify it afterwards too, right up until the deadline.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yasminh14 - 4 years ago

Thanks for all answers so far - so just to clarify my and Anon's questions:  if we sign up to file online, we can have a look through and make sure we understand it all before we commit to it, but if for any reason we feel we prefer to stick with the paper ones, we can abandon and then go back to the paper ones.  In that case, I will sign up and take a look and see if it works for me. 

I was a bit miffed with my preprinted paper one because I wanted to put some info in box E "Renseignements complementaires".  The tax office have very (un)helpfully prefilled this for me with a printed blurb telling me to sign on for online declaration, so now there is no room left to fill in the info I want to put in it!  hence hoping the online version would allow me to put this in, rather than printing off a blank form and filling it all in again.

Thanks, I know about declaring UK bank accounts, we have these listed on a spreadsheet as there are several.  Another reason I wasn't sure about online - wasn't sure if it would allow me to upload supplementary docs.  But I'll have a look and see.

Sorry no image available
Posted by babydriver - 4 years ago

If you don't complete the online declaration and 'sign' it, it's not submitted to the tax office. So yes, you can submit a paper one.

If you need a box that isn't appearing for you online, you have to go to the menu where you can choose which boxes are shownn.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jivedance-411773 - 4 years ago

Just to say that my online form 2047 is not identical to the paper one. I am still trying to find where to put my UK interest. I have looked several times. Will have to contact impot in Pontivy again.

Word of warning. Do not forget to declare UK bank accounts. Box 8UU. If you do not and have UK accounts it is a 1500 euro fine if they find out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

Wrong answer.  We wanted to know "if we log in and try to fill out the forms online, and decide we cannot finish can we just abandon the attempt and do it with paper forms".  Never done it before so previous years are not relevant.

Sorry no image available
Posted by YehWotEva - 4 years ago

Hi, the answer is yes. I've filled mine in for the last couple of years online but this year I filled out the paper ones and took it in as I had a query about the earnings for my sons Summer job.  There was no problems at all.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

The OP and I would like to know if we log in and try to fill out the forms online, and decide we cannot finish can we just abandon the attempt and do it with paper forms.  Straight question.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Football mad - 4 years ago

Which bit of my answer was not definitive?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yasminh14 - 4 years ago

I would prefer to submit online, however I don't want to sign up and then find there is something that doesn't work for me, for whatever reason.   I would just like to know if it is my choice how to file, or whether signing up for online then obliges me to file that way only.   If someone could give me a definitive answer, that would be great.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Football mad - 4 years ago

The online forms are identical to the paper ones except they're not coloured. You can shuttle backwards and forwards and change things as you like. I'm no genius but it is really easy.