DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Phoneexpat

Posted by bagpuss61 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

When I cancelled with Orange many years ago they took €50 out of our account without permission. I went to my Credit Agriclole branch and refused to leave the office until they (the bank) had put the money back into our account. They then told me to cancelled the direct debit which I did with no costs incurred. After a year I recieved a letter asking if I wanted the cancellation to continue indefinitely I said yes and it has

Everything with Orange was done via lettre recomandee.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Not only is it ridiculous that you have to give so much notice, but you have to use the acknowledgement of receipt (accuse de reception) or the registered letter (lettre recommandee), depending on who you are writing to, to have any chance at all that action might possibly be taken. Forget e-mail - companies might as well not be on the internet, as many never respond (including your own bank !).

To add insult to injury, it is also difficult to ensure the termination of a contract by cancelling the direct debit. Your bank will not accept your instruction to do so - they will only react to the instructions from companies who are the recipients of your funds.

Basically, contrary to the general principle in the UK, where the customer is right, in France the opposite applies. Companies and banks hold the power, not the customers. Some can be very good, but too often customers are pooly served.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 3 years ago

It will cost you money to cancel the prelevement, and it will only work the once. In other words, if they present it for payment again it will be met. As the previous respondent asked, did you cancel in writing with an Accuse de Reception? If so, have you kept a copy of your letter and the receipt? If not, you may need to start over again, galling though that may be.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

It is always a nightmare trying to get out of any contract here.  You have fulfilled the first requirement in giving adequate notice and supposedly you sent this in writing with an Accuse de Reception to insure they don't use the old "we didn't receive it" scam.  Is the €92 a cancellation of contract fee?  If not, they are just trying it on.  Contact your bank to cancel the Prelevement.  Prepare for a battle.  It took me many weeks to finish an SFR contract.  Happily the new provider offered to cover any fees (up to a point) for closing the old contract.

Good Luck