DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

planning permission for shed/summer house

Posted by izzyandclive - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

We have been in touch with our mayor this morning who confirmed that as we are a rural area, the shed isn't bigger than 10 sqm, can't be seen from the main road and that it isn't a permanent structure no permissions are necessary.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by izzyandclive - 3 years ago

thanks everyone- very useful and we check with local marie

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

The only way to know for certain is to ask at your Marie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lynny-10034653 - 3 years ago

In addition the summer house is 3 x 4 and we live in a rural location just outside Plourac'h.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lynny-10034653 - 3 years ago

We have just erected a summer house and were advised by the Marie that we needed to submit a Declaration préalable. You can download it from Service-public France. Its a 13 page form but don't worry as you don't have to fill all of it in as the firm covers many other things such as building a swimming pool and chopping down trees.  There are other supporting drawings and photos which were easy to do but time consuming.  If I can do it anyone can. Once it's submitted via the Marie they will give you permission within a month if everything is ok. We had to re-submit ours as I had forgotten to put the scale on one of the documents and they needed us to confirm that the building would be 3 metres from the boundary.  You then get the permission with another form to take into the Marie once the work is complete. This is to sign the project off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by zaphodbeeblebrox-10039523 - 3 years ago

If it has no footings and could technically be moved no permissions are needed at all.. I just put up a 12 meter polytunnel with no permissions needed ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

My current understanding is that anything less than 20sqm, you just need to notify your Maire that you are putting one up; no permission required.

We, too, live in a very rural area (agricultural) and I put up a  shed.  No questions asked.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

As I understand it, up to 5 sqm no declaration of works needed, 5 - 20 sqm a declaration of work must be made, over 20 sqm planning permission.  I am building a 6 sqm shed in my garden and I have been informed that because we live in a small rural commune no permissions are needed.  For larger villages and towns I understand that different rules apply  You are looking at 9 sqm so you may need to submit a declaration of works.  Ask at you marie.