DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Regulations for the use of pesticides by farmers.

Posted by Jivedance-411773 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Whyme?-991477 - 3 years ago

How do you know that they are using 'harmful' pesticides?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"Fast action"?   in France?  Good luck with that one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by David65-10048036 - 3 years ago

Hi, my region is also suffering from this issue. Farmers in our area are using lot of pesticides which are really very harmful for human beings and animal’s health. We have registered a complaint against them in department of Pest control Port Macquarie and looking for fast action.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

No it is dilute sulphuric acid.! Used around Scunthorpe a lot when we lived there in the 80's.

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

We live in a rural area near Lanrivain,and I was thinking only the other day how little spraying in carried out compared with rural Lincolnshire,in Lincolnshire the neighboring farmer's use to telephone or drop a note through the door the day before they intended to spray subject to the wind direction and speed,we had plenty of time to put the horses in or not let them out for a couple of hours ,then a light aircraft would fly over the fields and spray,particularly a potatoes crop,an hour or two later all the green foliage had turned brown like autumn leaves, the machines would arrive and pick & grade the crop.no idea what they sprayed, but certainly effective.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosey B-99102 - 3 years ago

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/120420/Zero-pesticide-law-in-France-2020

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jivedance-411773 - 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies. They have answered some of my questions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paumel - 3 years ago

Hi there i used to do thousands of hectares per year of crop spraying in the uk, and always used the good practice of phoning the people in the houses the night before so no washing was out or animals.Also most responsible operators wont spray when the wind is in the direction of houses.In the uk most operators are registered with the National Register of Spray Operators (NROSO) which meant training every year.Not sure if theres anything similar over here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Beekeeper-446653 - 3 years ago

Hi Been here for 13 years since leaving horticultural background and can say, but i am no expert that things have changed hugely.

I have also am a keen  beekeeping since 2009 so i am pretty worried about what is sprayed and when.

From what i know is that currently three very dangerous neocotinnoidal insecticided are currently banned until a review has been completed. but it looks like they will never be allowed to be used again. (pressur world wide and not just here)

All spraying of flower crops in the day is totally banned and illegal since last year.

If you see fields of scrubby grass and last years corn stubble being sprayed, thats usually glyphosate, but its use is becoming less as different farming methods mean they generally spray alot less of the stuff compared to say 10 years ago.( its also quite costly now)

Fields sown with winter wheat, all have spring selective weedkiller treatments, which kill any weeds other than grasses, ie all di-cots.

After maize is sown, germinated and growing and has anout 4 leaves, they use a selective weedkiller that kills the weeds competing around the seedlings of maize. without treatment, this crop would be virtually impossible to grow, due to weed competioion.

All farmers now have to attend a crop spraying course, as well as landscape gardeners, and anyone selling the stuff. As much as this is a pain, and created another jonb for the classic french middle man, it has helped reduced pesticide use and tightened up is safer and more efficient use, which can only be a good thing.

The penalties for mis treatment or miss use of chemicals are enormous. 

I can tell you the farmers are petrified of being fined, and they will be!

so I am not supporting or sticking up for farmers and all users of perstcides and insecticides, but we have to eat and  we have to be efficient and i know most oprocesses of crop treatment, as i have worked in the horticultural indusrty in the uk and was at one time spraying very toxic organophosphorus chemicals, so i know a bit about this. 

I can also say that as a beekeeper, the tide is turning here and public pressure is having some huge swaying to less efficient production, or alternative, less chemical reliance production methods.

However with the drop in the use of some treatemnts, this will obviously mean increase in prices but perhaps we should all eat a bit less and pay a bit more for our food, providing it comes from a sustainable  and chemical free source. 

France is currently the highest user of horticultural, agricultural pesticided per hectare area in europe.

Hope this helps,