DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Returning Faulty goods Advice needed please

Posted by hunterhouse100 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by valetlu - 3 years ago

They are out of order absolutely.   You have consumer rights in France as well as in the UK.  In fact all European member countries are bound by EU Directive1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and  of the Council of 25 May 1999 on certin aspects of sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees.   Quite simply goods must be fit for purpose and if they are not you are entitled to a refund or immediate replacement.  Go armed with the law and insist on your European rights, showing them the Directive in French, if possible      If you need further help, google 'Consumer rights in France''.    Lots of information there.     Best of Luck.   Let us know how you get on.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Koshka-444764 - 3 years ago

It's a bit late now but I would never, never again buy anything electrical from Intermarché, even though I do my grocery shopping there. Won't bore you with the details about their awful customer service. Now that Darty has opened in Pontivy I think they may have to pull their socks up

Sorry no image available
Posted by hunterhouse100 - 3 years ago

I like the idea of the lawyer, I do love a good a good rant. Between buying and returning was 3 days and what infuriated me the other day is that the logic of I bought it and it doesn't work  why can't you wait till we have returned it even when I pointed out they had the money and the camera and I have nothing.  This is when I was told the stores policy was return it and he shuffled off when I said that might be the policy but what was the law

thank you for everyone's help

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

A chap I used to know at a brico place told me that a lot of Chinese stuff is never tested and if it goes wrong within a few days of sale, it goes in the skip and they get a credit, so much stuff now is unchecked that every so often they have to recall it because it has the potential to kill someone, company's used to pride themselves on their service and quality control but now it seems it's far less important than profit.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Presuming that what the shop is doing is going against French consumer law - what about using the Protection Juridique which may be included in your house insurance?

I am told that one phone call to the shop from the insurance legal advisors works wonders.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

It depends on the retailer, but the sale of goods laws in France are basically the same as the UK, if you buy faulty goods they are required to replace them if fault occurs in first two weeks, after that its off to repair shop where they can take whatever is deemed to be reasonable amount of time to repair the item, in the UK reasonable amount of time can be months, basically the moral of the story is don't go back.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

My experience has been similar to that of georgeV.  As a result I buy as little as possible locally.

Your rights to a resplacement or refund always seem to be sidestepped in favour of the shop sending the item off for repair.  Have a look at this and this for more info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Sorry if I am stating the  obvious but what are the terms of the warranty on the camera?  I would hardly think they include depriving you of the item for up to six months.  What about writing direct to the manufacturer?  If all else fails a little raised voice complaining  in the shop might get things moving.  If language is the problem use Google Translate to say what you want to say and take a print- out with you.  Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

A lot depends upon how long you had had the camera before taking it back faulty.  I think the period is 30 days but not really sure on that one.  However, if you accepted the repair process then you have to accept that. 

I have rarely had much success in taking faulty goods back.  I had a drill for two days and the shop wouldn't accept it for refund or replacement.

I would give this a bit of publicity on Facebook or Twitter.  Most firms do not like bad publicity.

By any standards of customer service 7 weeks is too long to wait for a repair, 6 months is nonsence.