Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Self employment for UK company whilst living in France

Posted by icantthinkofawittyusername - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by icantthinkofawittyusername - 3 years ago

Thanks for the replies.  It appears to all be getting rather complicated!  There would only be the one client - for whom I've worked on and off for 15 years!

Not sure if I could go down the portage route with that - I'll have a look at the relevant government websites in France.

Thanks again

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

One thing to bear in mind is that to be 'self employed' you must have more than one client as it's considered hidden employment otherwise.

You'll have to either set up a business structure here or use a portage company, to enable you to pay your cotisations etc.


Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 3 years ago

Depending on your level of earnings, one option is to register in France as an Autoentrepreneur. Alternatively, using a portage company as TerryR suggested can be the simplest, if expensive, option. I have used this company in the past as they will issue invoices in Sterling and in English.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 3 years ago

You might want to look into the Portage system, it can save you a lot of hastle. THere's a brief descrition (written by me) here: http://blog.missions-cadres.com/articles/practical-guide-to-portage-for-english-speakers.html


Sorry no image available
Posted by icantthinkofawittyusername - 3 years ago


Thanks for your reply.  I won't be going to the UK at all - all the work will be completed in my own home via internet and email - sorry for not making that clear. 

So, I don't think I can be classed as tax resident in the UK.

Thanks again

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I am in a similar situation and a lot will depend on the amount of work you are doing and the amount of time you are spending in the UK.I do self employed work in the uk about  3 or 4 times a year.As I am resident here in France I checked with my local impots and they were of the opinion that as everything was being done outside France ie I have to physically go to the UK to work there was no need to to register as an AE in France that any tax should be paid in the uk at source but that NI should not be charged and that the amount I earned should be declared in France and be subject to social charges here and I got a similar opinion from HMRC but of course this is relevant to my particular situation .If however you are spending a lot of time in the uk that may mean you become uk tax resident especially if you are living in a house as opposed to say a hotel whilst you are working.So if you are doing a lot of work in the UK you need to google "cross border workers" and the appropriate regs.For example I do know of people who live in the North of France and regularly commute to the UK.You should also be aware that if you do part of your work in France lets say preparation of drawings plans etc or regular internet work then technically you are working in France and should register.

In respect of the registering with the HMRC as self employed I went onto their website and filled in the appropriate forms and I do the appropriate SE tax return for the UK and include it on my French tax return and so far everyone has been happy

I hope this helps others may have a different view but this is how it has worked out for me If in doubt then you should get appropriate advice from a pro