DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Social contributions to be reduced for farmers.

Posted by Fitter - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerhallon - 3 years ago

well said

Sorry no image available
Posted by agente securite - 3 years ago

economics three farmers round this way have taken there lives, not to mention other countries greece spain uk hard times,

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The question is, do you drink more milk eat more cheese when it's cheaper and less when it's more expensive, or like me you would buy the same amount regardless of a few cents more or few cents less, and another point I would like to make is don't compare France with New Zealand I'm afraid it's not as simple as that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Davey1200-433468 - 3 years ago

It is the general public which is at fault by always demanding lower prices at the supermarkets.

In Fougeres some months ago an enterprising farmer set up a fresh milk machine outside of the main supermarket. Price of a litre of FRESH milk was 10 cents higher than the treated stuff in the supermarket, result, closed after three months as not enough people were buying the milk.

During this time I watched people checking out their shopping and most had cartoned milk in their baskets.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

subsidies withdrawn in NZ from 1984... currently shift from sheep to dairy and meat, trading mostly in partnership with asian countries and competing even against export subsidies for french farmers.   One in eight kiwis works in agriculture against a miniscule proportion here.  NZ is a beautiful country to visit, as is France, the difference is how a young country looks forward, instead of backwards to 'acquis', protectionism and secondary picketing with the forces of law giving a helping hand as they will be next in the queue for favourable treatment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I think things are similar in the UK for farmers aren't they, with supermarkets driving down the price they pay for agricultural produce to the point where small farmers are driven out of business? I personally don't think it's right that farmers struggle to produce what they're told to, and are then forced to accept the price they're offered. I think there's too much power in the hands of big businesses - as usual - and at the end of the day they're the only ones who are going to benefit.  That said, I disagree with the way the farmers are going about their protest, I'm just not sure what alternatives they have open to them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

New Zealand stopped all subsides several years ago and yet I hear it is a beautiful country to visit .

Sorry no image available

The price of milk here there and everywhere is irrelevant, the farmers don't set the price the buyers do, they tell you what they will pay, and if you won't accept it then the buyers simply buy from someone who will, it simple maths really, sell for less than production cost go bust. What I would like an honest answer to is how much farm subsidies cost to each individual member of society, and how much dairy products would cost if all subsidies stop.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Prices of raw milk within europe here:- http://www.clal.it/en/?section=latte_europa

Wide variations, Slovakia, Netherlands and Czech republic cheaper.

Switzerland higher price.

Most of France not too different to most of europe.

Haven't had time to plough through all of it though.

Sorry no image available

Looks like as it was a bad idea to end the quota system, as I thought it would be, me personally I would stop all subsidies, let market forces dictate prices, all small farms would go bust, Europe would be covered in prairies, pig sheds and giant super cow farms pumping out millions of gallons of slurry, but the main thing is food would be cheap.