DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Static Caravan- Advice please!

Posted by gowriegite - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Obviously it all depends where the land is and what the neighbours are like and what the mayor's like. The OP asked about the rules. It's up to them where they go from here. But if they're hoping to integrate, getting across with the mayor and the commune isn't a good start and won't make living there any pleasanter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Don't be encouraged to break the law.  You asked the maire and he said no longer than 6 months.  That's it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pippie K - 3 years ago

Ignore the scaremongers just do it, doubt very much that anyone will even come along and ask about it , lived in mine for 10 years!

Sorry no image available

Or buy a UK motorhome, keep it in the UK and drive it here and back with you. Sounds like a good solution.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

I should add; don't bring an old (pre 2007) motorhome over from the UK, you'll never get it registered without losing your mind and loads of money. Loads for sale over here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

If there is a problem with parking a caravan -for some time- and I believe there are rarely enforced regulations concerning this which, if the Maire is on your case, you might not wish to flout, you could always buy an old motor home. Under French laws they are treated like a car so you can park it where you could park a car -it must, obviously, be insured. If a local commune doesn't want camping cars filling up a well used carpark they have to create a by-law (arrete) to deal with that specific car park.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

our house 'deeds' say no caravan of any type can be on the land for more than 3 months

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 3 years ago

I am a bit confused by your postings. In the OP you write in the future tense about a mobile home that you will be bringing over from the UK. In another post you use the past tense to explain that a previous mayor was happy with the mobile home being there. Is it on your property already or not?Personally I think that you would be foolish to bring a mobile home from the UK, a touring caravan would provide the basics without the same amount of hassle. You can then get cooking and habitable living space indoors fairly quickly while sleeping comfortably in the caravan.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. when our house was bought it was uninhabitable, so I towed 2 caravans from the uk,and used one as daily living quarters and the other sleeping quarters,bought them on UK Ebay,for £300 the pair,connected temporary water & electric supply to them,from memory they were each about 18ft long and 4/5 berth,spoke to the Marie first and as I understood there is no rules regarding caravans being parked on your land,but there is for static caravans,I did agree to move them as soon as we were able to occupy the house and not leave them to stand and rot and becoming an eyesore,hope this helps at least a little bit.sabc15. 

Sorry no image available

Surely it's better to know these things in advance rather than find out in retrospect and wish you'd planned things differently? France has its own rules and many a Brit has been caught out by assuming they can do things the same here as they do in the UK and get the same results. 

As said, French regulations are restrictive of where you can put a static caravan and for how long. You can't odds it.