DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax

Posted by BriBrad - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 3 years ago

I don't think anyone has actually answered the OP's question yet! 

"Revenue de capitaux mobiliers" is nothing to do with property (that is immobilier ie fixed assets) - it is to do with investment income and annuities. Which I believe are subject to CSG in France regardless of how low your total income is, so the assessment sounds to be correct.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

If you go onto your bank's website, you will find details of accounts which have tax free interest e.g. Livret A and LDD accounts (as mentioned previously). This will show maximum savings amounts and interest rates etc.  I don't know how they compare with ISAs, as I have no knowledge of ISAs.

On the subject of Tax Declarations, it is necessary for details from the red form to be transferred to the relevant section of the blue form.  (I was shown this when I filled in my first Tax Declaration under the guidance of the tax office.)

Sorry no image available
Posted by BriBrad - 3 years ago

Are these the equivalent of ISAs please? I mean do they work the same way as ISAs? And where might one find out more information about them?

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Going off at a slight tangent do not forget that if you are tax resident in France then anyinterest earned in the uk should  be paid tax free and tax free products in the UK eg ISAs are not tax free in France but there are French tax free products  such as Livret A/ LDD and Assurance Vie.And yes the blue form is for French income and the red is for income from elsewhere

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 3 years ago

Not telling them about part of your income in order to avoid the charges might work, but it sounds like very dodgy advice... if they pick up on it you'll have the charges to pay plus a big fat fine on top.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

The poster has received the tax demand for 2014 not the tax form to fill in for last year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

My understanding is that both the red and the blue forms must be completed   ...   the red being income  (e.g. pension) originating OUTSIDE France and the blue being TOTAL revenue whether from France or abroad.  (Usually parts of the blue form have already been filled-in by the Tresorie.)

Also I believe that, even for pensioners, social charges are imposed on any other income (e.g. bank account interest earned in the UK).

I'm surprised that some forms have already been sent out, as I usually receive mine at the end of April!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Yes, I am also charged for that: for interest on UK savings. Annoying but true!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mechanician - 3 years ago

The Blue tax form was the main French  tax form with all details, the Red form was for income from outside France! Perhaps the poster who said only fill in the Red form to avoid social charges, could clarify this new ruling!  and when it  was changed (with a link to french tax) as forms will be sent out soon and people like to get things right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

Thanks Bolt 123!

So Pensioners can now  ignore the blue form and just send in the red form if on pension! nice to know it has now been simplified!

Good advice?