Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.



Posted by rockandroll2 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockandroll2 - 4 years ago

many thanks to everyone who took the time to message,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

As tinabee says, it would be extremely unusual if you had had tax deducted PAYE. The French tax system is totally different from the UK tax system - there are no personal tax codes that tell an employer how much to deduct. Every household fills in a tax return at the end of the year, and their tax for the year that has just finished is calculated on total household income less allowances less credits d'impot etc, and a bill sent out if tax is payable. 

AFAIK it is only auto entrepreneurs who pay tax 'paye', and even then it can't be claimed back.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

Is this a question about a personal allowance for the year perhaps? In which case, if you've earned less than that, I assume you claim back tax but not social charges? I'm afraid I have no idea what the personal allowance is over here, but I do know there is one - applied to the family rather than the individual I believe, and would include any income from savings etc.  Perhaps your tax office could help?

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 4 years ago

it wasn't tax that was deducted at source, it was the French equivalent of National insurance, i.e. health insurance, pension contributions, unemployment insurance, solidarity contributions, etc. etc. etc. (there are lots of them) - there is no way of getting any of them back

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockandroll2 - 4 years ago

thanks for your replys . yes it is refering to work in france .i only worked part of one year and tax was deducted .i worked through an agency .

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 4 years ago

I don't understand the question ,there are no deductions from your pay for tax and last years earnings are declared for the sum you pay this year so how can you overpay?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 4 years ago


 Is this in reference to work you have done in France?