Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Tax advice etc on letting second home as gite

Posted by aramanta - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Thank you - really helpful replies. It will be holiday letting only. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

It is now obligatory to register your holiday letting business with your local Greffe or SIE ( it does seem quite abitrary who accepts responsiblity for what).

You must then choose whether you are going to register to expenses and pay tax on your profits or do the forfait system (an automatic deduction of 50% of turnover nd then you pay tax on the rest.) If you do the latter then you will need to use a French regsitered accountant as this also has to be declared online.

The deadline last year for non residents was the same as residents so 19th May and you will have to pay tax at 20%.

The above is for holiday letting only - not letting long term which comes under revenus fonciers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

The general rule is that income derived from real property eg buildings is always taxed in the country where the building is situated so you will need to submit a french tax return.You will have a 71% abatement so you will only be taxed on 29% of that income.You will the need to declare his income on "foreign" pages of your UK tax return and will receive an allowance against tax paid in France