DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax fonciere

Posted by scamper-428811 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by scamper-428811 - 4 years ago

Thanks for your input everybody, that seems to wrap the whole thing up!

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRock-980501 - 4 years ago

Surely if you can afford a second home, tax resident or not, you shouldn't expect us tax payers to subsidise you.

Full charges for second homes (but no surcharges), that's what I say.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 4 years ago

Hi Janes, yes you did but I just wanted to clarify it so people who have a holiday home here won't get their hopes up for a reduction. Foxie,if my memory serves me right, persons over 75 can extend the exonerationson for Taxe Fonciere subject to the regs. to their second homes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 4 years ago

Hi Rance If you read my first post, i did say that you need to be resident and paying tax in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Yes they would obviously need to be resident in France - janes' quote gave the limits for their rfr and if you don't pay tax in France you don't have an rfr. It goes without saying really that France isn't going to give benefits to non residents but you're probably right, it does need to be said in case it gets people's hopes up.

Sorry no image available

This piece might help. As before, the owner of a maison secondaire would be expected to have a maison principal and to be tax resident in FRance

People aged over 75 years and with modest incomes may qualify for property tax exemption on properties built both their primary residence for their second home (EC 20.10.00, No. 205635). For this, the income received by the taxpayer in the year preceding the chargeability of tax (ie the 2002 income tax for 2003) should not exceed € 7,046 for the first part of the family quotient plus 1882 € for each additional half share. This exemption applies to the building inhabited exclusively by the taxpayer, but it does not distinguish between primary or secondary residence (art. 1391 CGI). The State Council, called upon to decide on this matter, finally decided in favor of the taxpayers. This decision confirms the previous administrative decisions (CAA Nantes 30.12.98, No. 96-2120). However, the exemption does not extend to the housing tax (art. CGI 1414).

Sorry no image available

I think you might find that  second home owner in this case would be someone with a maison principal also in France. Thereby being tax resident.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Thanks for that info janes, I didn't know you could claim a reduction on a hol home.

CharlotteM - the limit seems reasonable to me? Does it compare unfavourably to the UK, or what makes you feel that it's ungenerous to restrict the exemption to pensioners on low incomes? Bearing in mind that the more exemptions that are given, the higher the taxes have to be for everybody else So exempting pensioners who can afford to pay would be a bit tough on people below pension age who earn less,but get no exemption and would have to share the extra burden.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

I agree its not a very high bar, but there are more people than you realise below that level right now.

Those who are receiving the basic UK state pension and nothing more.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 4 years ago

It seems that a single person has to have an income of less than 10800 euros pa to get a discount. I looked up an earlier reference to find out some facts and my understanding is that at 75 years I only get a discount if my income as a single person is under 10800 euros.  I was very disappointed, it doesn't seem a very high bar, few will qualify.