DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax form (French) question small UK earnings as writer

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 4 years ago
0 0

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Well the handwriting on my tax forms certainly ain't my handwriting ;)

As long as you sign it, where's the difference who wrote the figures in the boxes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 4 years ago

Ask your tax office, they are extremely helpful and will fill the form in for you if you ask.......

It is strictly forbidden for employees of the Tax Office to fill the form in for you, they will however show you where to include items and how tyou can complete it correctly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

Many thanks

Sorry no image available

Honestly you will have to wait until this year's forms come out because they sometimes change the boxes round where you have to enter things. They issue very detailed instructions that tell you exactly where they want you to put everything.

It won't go in the same box as bank interest will it because it's a different source. On the red form that you fill in for overseas income there used to be a box on the back of the form as I recall for "Bénéfices des professions non commerciales" or something like that.  Then if I remember correctly you copy the figure to another box somewhere else. But it's several years since I had any overseas income to declare so it may have changed. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far.  Have to get organised now for various reasons.

Foxie where do I put overseas income is it with the UK bank interest?  Thiis is also very small!  Just like to be honest so I can sleep at night!

Sorry no image available

Ask your tax office, they are extremely helpful and will fill the form in for you if you ask.

Which box it goes in, will depend on whether or not you paid tax on it in the UK and how you describe its source. 

From what you say you presumably haven't registered for any kind of business activity in France. Strictly speaking you shouldn't exercise a profession if you're not registered. It's not so much the income tax, which obviously on £140 is going to be negligible, it's more the issue of paying social security contributions. So it's probably best to describe it as 'overseas income', even if you did do the work while you were in France. Since it was paid in sterling they won't query it, not that they're going to fuss over that kind of amount in any case.

But if you're going to build this up into a significant source of income, you should register yourself as an auto entrepreneur or something. 

As said, this year's forms haven't been printed yet so far too early to start worrying about how to fill them in. Let's see what they look like first ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 4 years ago

Suziepops, some people are more organised than others, may be HIL25 won't have time for one reason or another to start finding answers to his question in March.

Sorry I can't help HIL25, I hope someone can answer your question. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

You won't get your tax forms until April.  Worry about it then.  Most people at the moment are still in the throes of winter and wondering if their wood supply is going to last!  Tax concerns start late March.