Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Tax hab / health ins questions from a newby

Posted by Prodrive - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 4 years ago

 Certain UK residents moan about the "bedroom tax"...here we moan about the "WC tax" as Taxes d'habitation is payable on how many WC's in the maison, swimming pool, double glazing, central heating i.e. level of confort.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Taxe d'habitation is assessed for each individual property - size, location etc - and also based on a rate that is set each year by the local council to raise enough tax to meet its budget for the year. The basic tax for each individual property is the same no matter who lives in it, makes no difference whether they are working in France or in the UK or nowhere at all. It's a property tax not an income tax (although as there may be a reduction for full time residents on a very low income).

Forget how self employment, tax and NICs work in the UK, it's a very different system here. Why not have a read of the info pages http://brittany.angloinfo.com/information/working/

Sorry no image available
Posted by Prodrive - 4 years ago


Thought tax hab was based on your profession/income. 

We never said we were working in France so am not sure how they work out habitation tax. 

In tbe UK I'm self employed and just declare the last year's money whenever after April and I pay monthly Nat insurance. 

Is there a similar set up in France?  I know it was a minefield in France 10 years ago but has it simplified at all,  running a business wise.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 4 years ago

No need to worry, your taxe d'habitation has nothing to do with your profession. If you are rident in. france and therefore declaring your world wide income here, you may get a reduction if your income is below a certain level.

For your next question, I am afraid I can't answer. I don't know enoug about how gite businesses are reegistered.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Not sure what you mean. I've never heard of anybody being asked what their profession is when they buy property. Your profession has nothing to do with taxe d'habitation.

If the gites are your main source of income you'll probably need to register them as a business and pay healthcare cotisations through the business, so it'll depend on what regime you register under, how much turnover, etc. 

Vague question, vague answer!