DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax on new build.

Posted by sabc15-427548 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 3 years ago

A private individual cannot reclaim VAT. The object of the scheme is to encourage the employment of registered artisans.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 3 years ago

Ask the people selling the kit. If it is possible surely everyone would do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by falabella - 3 years ago

Hi - we built a house but we had to register as a company to claim the vat and then when you sell it you have to charge vat.  I don't know of any self build scheme re vat here.. they are pretty strict. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. thanks for your reply Kanak,I intend to build a timber frame house on the plot,the kit will comply with the current regulations,as the cost of the kit carries 20% vat, that's without and labour cost,I would love to be able to reclaim the vat,I know we are not in the UK but in the UK the vat element can be reclaimed even on self builds,so I was hoping that this would be the case here,someone who has built there own house may be able to tell me.I don't want solar panels etc,just simple woodburner and all electric hot water & heating.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi sabc15,   I know you have been here ages and done all sorts of things, but start at the Mairie to see whether your project is the best:   there are quite rapidly changing advantages regarding energy efficiency for example.  Plus, things are taxed differently for a particulier or a SCI, so it may depend how long you will live in this house and what becomes of it later.  If you are using an architect he/she would maybe help.  Getting your money back against receipts seems a long shot to me.