Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Taxe D'Habitation

Posted by carolm-388821 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolm-388821 - 3 years ago

Thank you for the 3 replies to my question.  The property is used solely by me as a holiday home and, from Reveuse's reply, I assume that the 2nd bill is applicable in this case.  I can hopefully sort out the payment now.  Thanks again, Carol

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

If you declared it as a maison secondaire then I guess you have to pay the second bill, which probably superseded the first bill. If the first was sent a few days after you gave them the form you'd filled in, it's likely that they had already prepared the first bill before you gave them the form, and sent out an amended bill after processing the form.

Plus, normally that is the bill for a holiday home that you visit a few times a year.

Either way I wouldn't sit and think about it for too long - you are past the payment deadline and whatever bill(s) you have to pay, will be clocking up late payment fines by now.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The new tax on property and land regarded as being kept for speculative purposes is up to the mairie, its for the mairie to decide whether it should be charged or not, 1st port of call I would have thought would be mairie followed by tax office.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Usually you pay the 'ordinary' Tax Habitation even if you use it as a holiday home! 

If its not habitable because it needs work  & empty of furniture - then you can be exempt!

I always thought the TH sur les logements vacants, was a tax on property that was kept empty for speculation reasons - its to keep the empty houses in use - ie rental!