Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Taxe D'habitation & Taxes Foncieres

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Many thanks for your replies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

As said there are 2 different annual property taxes, plus very often a separate tax for rubbish disposal. Each 'avis' will have a heading at the top, to tell you what it is for. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sheldon-433307 - 3 years ago

You can only wangle out of d'habitation if your house has no furniture in it which will require an Attestation from your French mayor.  You will have to pay or risk a fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossbird - 3 years ago

I am not an expert but as I understand it, Fonciere is paid by the owner of the property, on the residential property and on outbuildings if there are any. Payable normally in October. Habitation is paid by the person living in the house, whether it is secondaire or principal residence,  and based on the residence only ,payable in November. Some departments also send 3 monthly bills for rubbish collection in the commune and this could be what you have already been billed for, but I am not certain. The best thing would be to contact the centre des impots under whose jurisdiction you come under. If you dont know where this is, your mairie would be able to help you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Thank you NellP, the two invoices paid to Tresor Public only state Residence Secondaire,  our house is habitable so habitation would in that case be payable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

Without knowing what it says on the bills you have already paid, it would be impossible to say but, Fonciare and Habitation taxes are both payable annually, though habitation is not paid if the house is uninhabitable.  That's the simple answer, you will, going forward pay both.  Now I leave it to those with   more know how to guess what it is you have already paid ;-)