DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Taxes

Posted by Older Punk - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 4 years ago

There was a sliding scale that expired after 15 years. This was changed a few years ago to 30 years, and then changed again to 22 years for tax, but remains at 30 years for social charges - the latest scales can be found here 

Of course there is always the possibility that the rules will change again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I also understand that there is or was a sliding scale. That's to say that if you say sold after a year then you paid x amount, but that amount deceased year on year antil after 13, (or was it 15?), years, you didn't pay the equivilant  of capital gains.

Right or not?

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinabee - 4 years ago

The agent is probably a bit vague because it is horribly complex to work it out. There are deductions for the purchase cost and fees, potential deductions for work done on the property by registered artisans, the length of time alters not only the tax but the social charges, and the reductions for each are different. Also, you may or may not pay social charges as the EU has ruled them unlawful but the French have not yet agreed to/implemented the ruling - article here.

There is a simulator here that may help you calculate what you might be charged - it may at least give you an idea of the maximum.

Sorry no image available
Posted by heureux - 4 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

Ignore my last post, just realised you are not French residents!

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

If  you are a French resident and it is your main property, no CGT to pay.  The land, I can't comment on as I have no experience, your  Notaire should be able to tell you.