DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Thought sinvited from landlords please

Posted by Chinup - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by teatime-972181 - 3 years ago

You would need to look at your contract to establish any clauses about payment. It would be a good idea to speak to a notaire, who will probably answer your question without charging a fee. I found this on French property.com: 

Where the tenancy is in joint names then both parties to the tenancy have equal rights and responsibilities regarding the tenancy.

Where it is a sole tenancy, then in the event of the death or departure of the tenant, the remaining spouse or civil partner has full rights to the tenancy.

In the case of a concubinage, in the event of death or abandonment by the tenant the remaining partner only has rights to the tenancy if they have occupied the property for at least a year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

I have heard this direct from the Agent we use to let our properties  - sorry, don't know where to find it in writing.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

we have joint tenants and one of them is thinking of leaving, the lease is up in september.

do I have to do a new lease for the one remaining tenant.

Sorry no image available

If renting unfurnished accomodation,then the rental contract lasts for 3 years unless there is a breach of contract such as non-payment of rent or sub-letting, theft etc. The Mayor can also insist on the eviction of unsuitable tentants. If the property is let by a company then the rental period for unfurnished property is six years. The tenancy period runs for the full period and is automatically renewed unless 6 months notice is given by the landlord. The landlord can only give notice if he wishes to move back into the property or sell it. If it is to be sold, then the current tenant has first refusal. Again I found this link is very good and I have received excellent advice from the editor about our individual circumstances. http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/rent/   We are not home owners but ex-pats fallen on hard times who have to rent. In our experience of 6 rental properties here,  only two have had  fairly decent landlords.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Woody

Could you give us a reference to the law that says you can't give your tenants notice to quit the house if you want to sell it. I hadn't heard about this and I cannot find any reference to it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

We have rented property here and have previously had a tenant with CAF and we had it paid directly into our account, just leaving the tenant to pay the difference.  We have been landlords for many years, both here and in the UK and, to be honest, it really is a bit of pot luck!  Some of the people you think will be the best tenants turn out to be the worst and vice versa.  Having said that, whilst there are problems at times it has been an extremely useful source of income and the bad has been much outweighed by the good.  The positive advantage here in France is the ability to easily check potential tenants financial reliability.  One thing to take into consideration is whether you may want to sell the property in the near future as,at the moment as the law stands, if you try to sell a tenanted house,  unless you need it for yourself or a close memer of the family, the new owners must offer the tenants a new three year tenancy agreement.  The Agent we use believes this law will be rescinded as unworkable at some point in the future but at the moment it is detrimental to leeting a house for the short term.  Bon chance!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

You would be obliged to tell the CAF of arrears, 2 months, I think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chinup - 3 years ago

Many thanks for that teatime.

There's an old cynic in me wondering why payments should not go into our account. You have just answered that for me. I suppose if the tenants didn't pay the rent then we could ask CAF to intervene.

Thanks again

Sorry no image available

I forgot to mention that you will need to complete a yearly declaration with CAF to confirm that your tenants are paying their rent and to confirm the cost of rent each year. CAF should send this form to you directly and the sooner you complete and return it then they will continue to pay the rent allowance. Keep a copy for yourself as proof of course! Your tenants can ask you for monthy or yearly receipts of rental payment, which is another way to confirm that rent is being paid. Just because someone is on a low inclome, it does not mean they will be bad tenants but it does mean a little bit of extra paperwork for you. But then that is part of the course of renting out property.....:O)

Sorry no image available

This is a good thing! It means that they are on a low income and can receive help towards paying their rent. CAF will pay about two thirds of the cost of total rent as long as you are a bonefide landlord. With many rogue landlords around, the tenants have to be just as careful as landlords have to be with possible rogue tentants, which is why they are having the CAF payment put into their bank account. So if you have a good rental agreement, receive payment by direct debit from them and have done everything else corretly, you should have no concerns because part of your rental income is coming from CAF. I find this link useful: http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/rent/